What's sung in the tag of "Toledo" ?

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

rasputin@gvtc.com

What's sung in the tag of "Toledo" ?

Post by rasputin@gvtc.com »

On the album PAINTED FROM MEMORY, Elvis Costello sings some new lyrics during the end fade of the track...

What are those lyrics? And why are they almost completely inaudible?

Seems to me that EC and BB, by the time of this album, would never release to the public anything that wasn't done "on purpose"...

Anyone have the "backstory" on this fade?
mark
Site Admin

Post by mark »

According to Serene Dominic's book, Elvis has sung the coda during live performances:

"But we still have Florence, Alabama/We don't have Paris and we don't have Rome/Or New York or even Amsterdam/None of these lonely towns will be my home."

I'm not sure what the story was on the decision to fade it.
brucewms

Additional Lyrics in "Toledo"

Post by brucewms »

I have the album "The Sweetest Punch" by Bill Frissell which was also released in 1998 and it features Elvis Costello singing "Toledo". This version contains those lyrics that Mark referred to however they are clearly stated way before the fade and no where near being inaudible. There's two songs sung by Elvis on this album along with a duet he does with Cassandra Wilson. Ms. Wilson also does a solo culled from "Painted From Memory". I also have a "live" CD which features Elvis singing several songs from "Painted From Memory" and he pulls it off so eloquently and soulful with the help of the Brodsky Quartet and plenty of shimmering strings--Awsome!