Nikki Sheet Music (For Piano & Violin)

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

Renee

Nikki Sheet Music (For Piano & Violin)

Post by Renee »

Does anyone know where I can get the "Nikki" sheet music for piano? It's my favorite Burt Bacharach song of all time. And I'd especially love to get the orchestration part for violin. Hearing that violin accompaniment is what compelled me to learn the violin!

Any thoughts? Any musicians out there who by chance have the music parts? Does anyone know if there is a Burt Bacharach estate/administrator that would know about and have access to these things?
steveo_1965

Re: Nikki Sheet Music (For Piano & Violin)

Post by steveo_1965 »

Renee,
A friend alerted me to your post and asked if i could advise...Im afraid the orchestra score/parts for this tune are not available...there are "other" arrangers who may have scored this for concert band or community orchestras...you might check that on the web with "sheet music plus" or J.W. Pepper music company...
There is a screen shot of part of the conductor part Burt was using in one of his tv specials, shot in Great Britain...it shows the guitar and bells opening. The best bet is to get the "record"or cd of the song...and also get a copy of the published piano/vocal sheet music which came out at music stores 50 some yeas ago..It roughly shows some elements...you could make up your own from that...I agree its a great song, and I love Harry Betts(RIP) arrangement he did for ABC-TV "movie of the week" intros back around 1969 or '70 Im sure Sheet music plus online would have the piano vocal version (made out by the publisher, but not specificaly arranged by Burt..you can start there....Maybe someday Burts scores will be donated to a university like UCLA for study, but right now this is not happening.
Renee

Post by Renee »

Hi, Steve -

Many thanks for your thoughtful reply. I just can't believe the violin part doesn't exist somewhere. (Musicians had it when the recordings were made, right?) Anyway, I'll look into your helpful suggestions -- and, hopefully, the sheet music will still turn up!

Thanks again,
Renee
steveo_1965

Post by steveo_1965 »

Yw Renee..
Yes, the violin part exists alright in the stash of the "Bacharach music library" as possessed by his family...hopefully someday this material will find its way to a college library..id like to see some of these scores to "see how he did it!" He was a masterful arranger.
Of particular interest are the violins "Break" of this tune which occurs about at :50 on the 1966 version, comprised of a series of 6 intervals, the first 2 are "6ths" then a 5th, a 5th again and then a 4th, then back to a 6th.. very cool!
steveo_1965

Post by steveo_1965 »

Renee,
Another thing you could do is write or phone the publisher, tell them you are studyng music, and cant find the tune, and could you get a photocopy of the song for study purposes.This wont be the original violin part, but will help guide you with the tune.
Here is the publisher for Nikki:
New Hidden Valley Music c/o
Universal Music Corp.
2100 Colorado Ave.
Santa Monica, Ca.90404
phone:1-310-235-4700 (USA)
Jim Dixon

Post by Jim Dixon »

There is a very basic sheet music version in this book:
https://www.worldcat.org/title/Bacharac ... c/74811011

Basically just the melody and chord names.
steveo_1965

Post by steveo_1965 »

I am following Renee's search with interest...Ty Jim Dixon. I think that would be
something useful....maybe write to one of the libraries to get a photocopy..It mentioned the San Diego Public Library San Diego,Ca. library among others..
Renee

Post by Renee »

Steve and Jim, some great ideas here! For me, the "golden ticket" is to find the violin accompaniment, so I can play along as I listen to the song. I'll see if I can uncover anything and will post back to let you know. Thank you both!

(Steve, if I use your name with New Hidden Valley Music, would they know you and would that help me open some doors?)
steveo_1965

Post by steveo_1965 »

Hi Renee,
No, im afraid not..I dont know anyone at this publishing company as its administrated by "Universal"Music.. so no, it would not help..But feel free if you so desire to mention me.. They will not know me, but ok.
Best,
Steve

P.S. which version are you trying to play along with..the one on Burts self titled 1971 album?
Renee

Post by Renee »

Thanks, Steve. And, yes, that is the correct album/version with "Nikki." Just love it!

Renee
steveo_1965

Post by steveo_1965 »

Renee,
Please check your email... send Blue(Louis) your email We have a couple of things for you.
Steve
Renee

Post by Renee »

Steve -

Thank you SO much! That was so kind and generous of you. I'm really excited and can't tell you enough how much I appreciate it!

Best,
Renee
steveo_1965

Post by steveo_1965 »

Renee
You are welcome I think the last part the ending on the vln sketch should be an octave higher..i quickly sketched out what I could. When you get your published version you can iron out the wrinkles..as some of the time signatures etc may not be entirely accurate but its a start!
I am delighted Blue and I could help!
Jim Dixon

Post by Jim Dixon »

Regarding the basic form and time signatures, for what its worth, I found this leadsheet that shows how they were notated in the Hansen "Bacharach & David's Greatest Hits" collection from the early 1970s:

https://musescore.com/user/44923592/scores/11546479
Renee

Post by Renee »

Wow, the music community is so helpful! Thanks, everyone!

Renee