Elvis Costello on the David Letterman Show tonight, May 5th

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

An Enormous BB Fan

Elvis Costello on the David Letterman Show tonight, May 5th

Post by An Enormous BB Fan »

I wonder if he'll be singing one of the new Bacharach/Costello songs??? Wouldn't that be fantastic!!
blueonblue

Re: Elvis Costello on the David Letterman Show tonight, May

Post by blueonblue »

Enormous,
Let's hope so !

"blue"
An Enormous BB Fan

Post by An Enormous BB Fan »

Okay, if you didn't see it, be glad -- you didn't miss a thing. He sang a song that he wrote called "The Last Year Of My Youth." It was obvious that Burt had nothing to do with the song because the music was dreadful. If he had ever learned anything about composing music from Burt, then he obviously forgot it all when composing this music. If you want to judge for yourself, go to cbs.com, then click on "Shows" and then click on "Late Show With David Letterman" and then "Videos." Choose the May 5th show. Elvis appears at the end of the show -- the last segment. It will be available until the middle of next week.
blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

Enormous,
Thank you for the info.
I've just seen it, very disappointing....c'mon Elvis let's hear the new songs you've written with Burt please !

"blue"
Blair N. Cummings

Post by Blair N. Cummings »

I didn`t see this since I got rid of my last television set approximately a decade ago, but I`m not surprised. Either the new songs are being held for a major roll-out or were just cobbled together to have something to select for the pre-doomed PFM stage show. My guess, gloomily enough, is the latter. I would love to have someone dig up some scoop to prove me wrong.
Downtown

Post by Downtown »

Elvis has stated again and again recently that he has stopped making albums: “There is no need to make another one..."

And that he is working simultaneously with Burt on two musicals: "It is fairly and kind of intense. I never would have imagined it...”

One is the "PFM" musical for sitcom king and uber-producer Chuck Lorre (doomed?) and the other one presumedly the "Austin Powers" musical for Mike Myers.

The songs will probably not be heard before they start promoting the shows...
ron hertel

Post by ron hertel »

I'm unwilling to write off a Broadway musical production of PFM at this early stage of development. .... "Painted From Memory" is a catchy title that could result in an interesting variety of potential story lines. ....... A good script along with some great songs, performers and production could possibly do quite well at the box office. They'll need GOOD REVIEWS too! .... I'm sure that Burt and Elvis have addressed the issue of its potential success at length before embarking on this project. ..... As far as the Austin Powers effort is concerned - I think it's safe to say that Burt is "ALL IN" based on his comments over the past several years regarding his previous involvement with Mike Myers!