Did Jewish Brill writers prefer Black singers?

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

geoff85

Did Jewish Brill writers prefer Black singers?

Post by geoff85 »

We know about Bacharachs obsession with Dionne Warwick, Lieber/Stoller affinity towards The Exciters and Drifters/Ben King. Carole King/Goffin with Little Eva and The Shirelles, and the drifters as well. Of course many writers did write with white singers as well but it seemed black singers got the best songs and often got to record them first. Was this mere coincidence? Were they making a statement? Or did they just prefer those particular singers? Or prefer the way black artists interpet songs? Ive never really heard much commentary on this subject and would like to hear from people who lived thru the era what there take is on it. Thanks.
Last edited by geoff85 on Wed May 07, 2014 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
face

Re: Did Jewish Brill writers prefer Black singers?

Post by face »

Interesting question. I will eagerly await the response of those who lived during those times.

However, I do have one theory, as least as it relates to Bacharach/David. For them, I think it was strictly about trying to capture a particular sound. They were going for a certain sophisticated soul sound, and they felt that black singers were key in getting that sound. In his book, Burt talks in explicitly racial terms, saying how he would have the black background singers on the low parts, and a group of white girl singers on the high parts, to lighten things up. He could have easily said the same thing with race-neutral language (surely black girls can sing high too!), but he didn't. His understanding was that black voices brought soul, and white voices brought levity. And let's not forget that many of Burt's musical heroes were black, so maybe he was trying to capture that "hip" sound that was authentic to black culture. Hal has often said that Dionne brought soul to their music, and that is one of the reasons that he preferred her interpretations to all others. So, I think it all comes back to the sound that they were trying to achieve, not a political statement.
geoff85

Post by geoff85 »

face wrote:Interesting question. I will eagerly await the response of those who lived during those times.

However, I do have one theory, as least as it relates to Bacharach/David. For them, I think it was strictly about trying to capture a particular sound. They were going for a certain sophisticated soul sound, and they felt that black singers were key in getting that sound. In his book, Burt talks in explicitly racial terms, saying how he would have the black background singers on the low parts, and a group of white girl singers on the high parts, to lighten things up. He could have easily said the same thing with race-neutral language (surely black girls can sing high too!), but he didn't. His understanding was that black voices brought soul, and white voices brought levity. And let's not forget that many of Burt's musical heroes were black, so maybe he was trying to capture that "hip" sound that was authentic to black culture. Hal has often said that Dionne brought soul to their music, and that is one of the reasons that he preferred her interpretations to all others. So, I think it all comes back to the sound that they were trying to achieve, not a political statement.
This is the theory I most subscribe to as well. With all the racism in society(even in the north back then) there must have been a reason why songwriters choose to use African American singers who were well in the minority in numbers and were being discriminated against in almost every aspect of life. They must have truly felt Black singers were adding something special to their songs.

I have never heard of Burt breaking things down that frankly in terms of singers parts by race. Interesting. Cant argue with the results he got though.
geoff85

Post by geoff85 »

Jerry Leiber said that he was often overcome with emotion hearing Brenda of The Exciters sing his songs. After listening to alot of their songs I think they may be my favorite old school girl group even over Supremes but maybe a notch below Fifth Dimension if you consider them a girl group. If I was a teenager back in the sixties this would have been my jam. I love the Frankie Lymon quality to Brendas voice.

this is probably the sound they were trying to avoid.