Random great songs not written by Burt.

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

geoff85

Random great songs not written by Burt.

Post by geoff85 »

Hey guys I just wanted to create a thread where I could share some great songs I like that are non-Bacharachian and encourage others to do the same. I find die hard Bacharach fans usually have high standards in musical taste. These songs are/can be random and in any genre or era just need to be good. I know that is subjective and I guess we can give subjective feedback.

BTW i am an eighties baby of the nineties generation but am an old soul. I discover music everyday that I am sure you guys had the pleasure to grew up with. I am big on "pretty melodies" and lush harmonies so you can expect that with anything I put my stamp of approval. Always great to hear comments and feedback.

Marvin Gaye All the way round. I know Marvin can jam out and get down but I never hear him sing like he does in this song often. Smoother than usual with Doo Wop type background vocals. Real nice.

Marvin Gaye I want you. Everything from the first song applies here. I like the vibe of the whole I Want You album. Kudos to Leon Ware.

The Dells The Love We Had- Beautiful song very reminiscent of Thom Bell's Philly soul sound but they are actually from Chicago.

The Dells Just as Long as we're in Love- One of the most beautiful songs I have ever heard. Any Jimmy Webb fans on this board?? You will hear alot of similarities to Fifth Dimension's Magic Garden. 1:15-1:25 hits a special chord in my heart.
geoff85

Re: Random great songs not written by Burt.

Post by geoff85 »

I am also an avid fan of Laura Nyro. I discovered her around 2010. My dad who is a great music lover didn't know much about her so I take it she was an overlooked gem even back in her day. Such a shame.

Laura Nyro Emmie- This song melts me down. I usually listen to it in the dark and find myself drifting off into some deep places. Laura Nyro can be hard to digest for someone not use to her sporadic schizophrenic maniacal style of changing to odd meters and key changes. This is very toned down for her. If you were going to introduced someone to Laura I would start with this song. 3:30-3:50 is heaven for me. 3:50 towards the end is like a wink and nod to her fellow Brill Building writers especially Burt.

Laura Nyro Lu- This song combines Motown and Brill Building. Can you get any better than that? The Brill parts are the best for me. 1:42-2:00 sounds very Brill Building then transitions effortlessly in Motown( very much like something the Vandellas would do). Great song.

More songs to come. Please give me feedback guys. Thanks.
nowmedical

Post by nowmedical »

Hi Geoff welcome to this forum.

How about this: soaring melody and strings, Bacharachian major-7 chords (try 2.00 mins to 2.08), Jean Carn does Dexter Wansel

geoff85

Post by geoff85 »

nowmedical wrote:Hi Geoff welcome to this forum.

How about this: soaring melody and strings, Bacharachian major-7 chords (try 2.00 mins to 2.08), Jean Carn does Dexter Wansel

Thanks. Great song. I looked up Dexter Wansel and it seems he did alot of work with Gamble/Huff so he was def rubbing shoulders with the right people.
Blair N. Cummings

Post by Blair N. Cummings »

Scroll down this page to the topic: Another great song that sounds like Bacharach.
Hank

Post by Hank »

Here's a couple off the wall selections - as per Geoff's direction, these are non-Bacharachian:

Holger Czukay - Persian Love
- weird iranian mash-up...but classic....

Betty Boo - Let Me Take You There
- British summer rap - why was this not a worldwide mega hit ?
Blair N. Cummings

Post by Blair N. Cummings »

So, really, no parameters define material for this thread? Cool, here`s 70 year old John Cale`s new (yes, new!) single from his new (yes, new!) album out on October 1st (UK), October 2nd(US):
geoff85

Post by geoff85 »

The last song wasn't too bad. The songs should be the type that the average die hard Bacharach fan would appreciate but not neccassarily his work. The last couple posts were pushing it a bit. Don't murder my thread or I will commit suicide on it by posting 50 cent and Justin Bieber to finish it off.
geoff85

Post by geoff85 »

Songs about Rainy Days are always beautiful.

Dramatics- In the Rain. ( It is not a Thom Bell song btw). Harmonies and melodies here to die for.

Love Unlimited- Walking in the Rain. This song I think produced by Barry White and imo is one of his best.

The Ronettes- Walking in the Rain. One of my favorite Phil Spector songs. One of the earliest uses of the Wall of Sound. ( Brill Building Alert!!!!)

God those Ronette girls were hot. They could all be my Grandma's now though.

Carpenters- Rainy Days and Mondays. Probably in my top ten of the most beautiful sad songs of all time. In my opinion Karen's voice rivals Dionne when it comes to displaying melancholy emotion even with her very limited range.

Neil Sedaka- Laughter in the Rain- The only song about Rainy Days that picks up my spirit. (Brill Building Alert!!!!!!!!!!)
geoff85

Post by geoff85 »

Songs from my generation of singers who died young.

Aaliyah- At your best. The most beautiful woman to ever walk the earth with the most angelic voice you will ever hear singing a remake of the Isley Brothers classic. God I miss her so much everyday. She died in a plane crash several days before 9/11 so it kinda eclipsed her death.

Aaliyah- I care for you- I don't care how old or young you are. This song is a modern day classic. Once again that angelic voice is like the whispering wind.

Amy Winehouse- Tears Dry on my own. Amy was a wonderful singer who struggled with some tough demons that she eventually succumbed to. She was a modern day Janis Joplin but more talented in my opinion(I may get stoned for that). Her homage to past greats were obvious. This song is vey Motown to me almost identical to Ain't no mountain high enough. Her bee hive hair is also inspired by the Ronettes.

Amy Winehouse- Back to Black. This to me is like a dark combination of Motown and Brill Building. The video even predicts her death.

Please guys give me comments. Let me know if you love or hate what I post. I joined this forum so I could interact with people with good musical taste.

geoff85

Post by geoff85 »

Mariah Carey- Bliss. If you love Minnie Ripperton's Loving you, you will love this. It is clear Minnie was the biggest influence on Mariah Carey.

Mariah Careys- Circles. Any soul heads on here should be able to appreciate this. Say what you want about Mariah but in her day the girl was smokin(hot) and is probably the best vocalist of all time( all respect to the great Whitney Houston).

Mariah Carey- How i wish you only knew. So she's beautiful, has a voice from heaven, and is probably one the best songwriters of all time. Enjoy the song and great clips.

Remember guys i live for the comments and feedback. No comments and I have a bad day.
geoff85

Post by geoff85 »

Beyonce- Disappear. Beautiful acoustic song. Posting all these videos made me realize my generation has probably got the past generations beat when it comes to beautiful female singers. Anyone dare to disagree?

Beyonce- Smash into you. Another beautiful acoustic song like the first.

Beyonce- That's why your beautiful. Beautiful acoustic song. IMO up there with some of Bacharach's best when it comes to just being a simply beautiful song.
geoff85

Post by geoff85 »

Blair N. Cummings wrote:So, really, no parameters define material for this thread? Cool, here`s 70 year old John Cale`s new (yes, new!) single from his new (yes, new!) album out on October 1st (UK), October 2nd(US):

Im starting to think parameters wouldn't be a bad idea.
blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

Hi Geoff,
Here's one you might like...in the style of Bacharach.
Arranged and produced by Jimmy Webb.

"blue"
GehVorbei

Post by GehVorbei »

I love Rufus Wainwright, who has worked with Burt. And I like the song he recently wrote for Shirley Bassey:

I totally dig what Damon Albarn has brought to Bobby Womack's great comeback album this summer. Here is with Lana Del Rey:

And if I had to pick just one composer/writer/singer from the last decade that ranks with the alltime greats for me, it would be Antony Hegarty of Antony & The Johnsons. Here is duetting with Boy George: