Jerry Moss, Burt ,and the Kentucky Derby

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

Bailey

Jerry Moss, Burt ,and the Kentucky Derby

Post by Bailey »

Look for ******* XXX ******** below.
-=-=-=-=-=-

An underdog has his day

50-1 long shot stuns fans at Derby

By WRIGHT THOMPSON The Kansas City Star

LOUISVILLE, Ky. — This is why people watch the Kentucky Derby. When a horse named Giacomo crossed the finish line Saturday in first, the second-longest shot in the 131-year history of this event, you could almost hear the fans asking the question: Who?

For starters, he's named after Sting's 9-year-old son (yes, that Sting). He was so unknown that the announcer at his home track in California mispronounced his name. Twice.

The trainer, John Shirreffs, is a Vietnam vet born in Leavenworth, the son of an Army man. His mother was so nervous she went to the grocery store back home in Florida instead of watching the race on television.

The owner, Jerome Moss, is best known for A&M Records, the company he co-founded. *******Burt Bacharach, ********of all people, helped him get deep into racing. On May 7, 30 years ago, one of his bands, the Flying Burrito Brothers, was playing a gig in New York. Look at him now, with that stupid grin on his face.

The jockey, Mike Smith, was a three-time Derby loser who feared he was all out of chances. What are the odds of this cast of characters winning the most prestigious race in the world?

Well, just about 50-1.

“It was hit records that got me here, but this is a pretty great thing,â€￾ Moss said, practically giggling. “Very few people experience what we've experienced. To win the Kentucky Derby is everything anybody ever wants to do.â€￾
Ron

Post by Ron »

Burt should be the recipient of a nice bithday present from Jerry this week as he celebrates his 77th. 7th of May win - Hopefully the three 7's marks a year of good luck for Burt! I'm no numerologist; however, I hope Burt's "karma" kicks in when we begin our racing season this July in Del Mar (July is the 7th month and Burt will be here as usual)
linda76

Post by linda76 »

LOL This is great. I dig A&M records.... :!:

Good stuff.

Linda
~a tin pan fan~