See the full 1/2 hour show here!

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

An Enormous BB Fan

See the full 1/2 hour show here!

Post by An Enormous BB Fan »

http://www.kcet.org/shows/la_tonight_wi ... stone.html

I was shocked when Burt said "I blew it", referring to his record with Dionne of "The Windows of the World." He thought that the version he did wasn't very good. Yet, years ago, Burt used to say that "The Windows of the World" was one of his 3 favorite songs that he wrote. Why the change of heart regarding this great song? I have to totally disagree with Burt. I think he created one of his very best songs with Hal and Dionne on that very record. And he used to think so, too.

It was very touching when he talked about Nikki. And I thought very brave, too.

I laughed at how he criticized his own conducting in the Cilla Black "Alfie" session. That was some emotional conducting, I have to admit.

Neither Roy nor Burt mentioned Burt's book that will be coming out. I figured Burt would have mentioned it. And they didn't mention "Some Lovers". Nor did they talk about what Burt is composing these days and for whom.

Burt praised B J Thomas, and if Burt was sincere, then that puts that issue to rest. Although we know that B J Thomas wasn't too thrilled with Burt's perfectionism. A while back, I posted a link to a youtube video where B J Thomas said words to that effect. And watching that Cilla Black video, we know how demanding Burt can be and how he requires so many takes. I would imagine that after 20 takes, one's voice might show the wear, and the singer might get annoyed -- as Cilla did.

What are your thoughts on this interview?
Blair N. Cummings

Re: See the full 1/2 hour show here!

Post by Blair N. Cummings »

It`s always enjoyable to see Burt but I didn`t hear, nor did I expect to hear, anything new. The fact is, as hard-core fans, there`s little we don`t already know that he is likely to discuss for a general audience. What we would like him to get into would be considered too "arcane" (i. e. "boring") for the casual fan or television viewer.
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

I liked the interview, but I don't see why so much emphasis from the interviewer on Barbra Streisand as her input has been irrelevant for Bacharach's music.
Rio

Post by Rio »

I think Burt loves Windows of The World (I didn't know how much -- yes, I learned more than a few things in that interview). The thing is, I believe that he just din't particularly care for the arrangement and what not that he wrote for Dionne (and maybe even what he asked of her).

I once read someone saying it would be a lousy work if it weren't for Dionne. But I first became familiar with the song in the Reach Out album. And I liked the diffrent ways he approached the song, changing instruments and keeping it interesting rather than relying always on one voice/instrument. So when I listened to the Dionne arrangement I thought it was rather lifeless. But Burt probably doesn't think that the instrumental recording took care of the emotion that was lacking in the original recording.

In this regard I like knowing the way he felt about original recordings. It was not this clear to me that he sensed that there was so much at stake, that it was then or never. I mean, it must have been even more painful that I thought. Somehow it became much clearer to me how important those sessions were to him.

As to our earlier discussion, my guess is that an earlier reference to Dionne was edited out, because otherwise I have to say that Burt would indeed normally speak of her first. The way it came out I don't think Burt was pleased with it -- whether because he has to think he should have done it differently or because it is unfair that in editing it looked like Firestone had to remind him of Dionne.

I loved hearing about After The Love Is Gone, one of my favorites. I understand his respect for David Foster better now. I've got to pay more attention.... Also about My Funny Valentine and Ain't no Mountain High Enough (I thought his favorite version was the one I was more familiar with, because of my interest in Marvin Gaye -- ie, the version he recorded with Tammi Terrell -- and now I am getting to try and get into Burt's mind (how vain can I get?!) appreciating the development in that recording). And realizing once more how in tune he is with the history of music and the thoughts of Sondheim and the work of Gershwin and the importance of DuBose Heyward and... All this just makes me want him to talk more and more about music. I am more hopeful now about the coming book.

I love that he likes the Brazilians guys I like too. Seems like he didn't mention one of his favorites. I wonder if he knows that Djavan's friends say he has Parkinson's desease. Perhaps the leading, groudbreaking researcher on the subject is another Brazilian doing research at Duke (http://www.nicolelislab.net/parkinsons/ listen to João Gilberto at his site!) You are likely to hear more about Nicolelis at the 2016 Summer Olympics opening, if not earlier. I have a rather personal interest on the subject.

I wish I could have listend to Burt playing Nikki a bit more. Just a little bit more... What a treat it was, anyway. How touching...
An Enormous BB Fan

Post by An Enormous BB Fan »

I wish he had played more of "Nikki" also. But did you notice how he stopped right after he started? And did you see his expression? Did he forget how to play the song? Or was it something else?

I'm still perplexed about what he said about his version of The Windows of the World with Dionne; i.e., the original version. Years ago he always listed that as one of his 3 favorite songs that he wrote. If he didn't like the arrangement at that time, why would it have been one of his 3 favorites? Maybe, as years passed, he realized that he could have made it better. But I'm a big fan of that original version with Dionne and I don't think he could have made it better. Different, yes; better, no. I certainly don't think Luther's version is better -- too overstated and overdone for my taste.

I do agree with Burt, however, that "Close to You" by the Carpenters had a better arrangement and was sung better by Karen. And how interesting that it became a hit 10 years after he wrote it.
steveo_1965

Post by steveo_1965 »

Hey,
This is one of the best interviews Ive ever seen of Burt! : )