Cissy Houston

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

Sara D

Cissy Houston

Post by Sara D »

I’m sure our thoughts are with Cissy Houston and her family at what must be a heartbreaking time. In the interviews I’ve seen over the years she always spoke with such love and obvious pride in her daughter.

As we all know, Cissy has recorded several Bacharach songs over the years, whether as a solo artist, singing lead with the Sweet Inspirations or on his own albums. Here’s the Sweet Inspiration’s recording of Alfie:

gillanddon

Re: Cissy Houston

Post by gillanddon »

Thank you Sara for posting Alfie by The Sweet Inspirations. The fabulous Cissy Houston. I can't imagine how she is coping with this incredibly sad loss of her extraordinary daughter. You can hear Cissy's influence in most of Whitney's recordings .. a certain sound, timing, being brave to go for a daring gospel based interpretation of a classic.
Martin Johnson

Post by Martin Johnson »

I echo the comments above re Cissy and Whitney Houston. I've always liked Cissy Houston's very R'n'B version of 'I Just Don't Know What to do With Myself'. This clip is a live TV performance of the song from around 1970.

gillanddon

Post by gillanddon »

Thank you Martin .. Cissy certainly had all the talent there .. a great interpretation of a Bacharach classic. Dionne learnt so much from her as well .. how to make the most of very strong voices.