ALFIE

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

ALFIE

Post by Guest »

It's now in Italy starring Jude Law the movie-remake
of Michael Caine's, that remind to the fabulous sixties
when the theme-song become the marvellous star as
still today at the concert Burt is used to whisper.
Does anyone know if there are any song in the movie
that can stay close to the matchless Alfie?
Bye

thw other Warwick

Post by guest »

I don´t know about the soundtrack. But, about the song "Alfie", the best recording I´ve ever heard of it is by Dionne´s younger sister Dee Dee Warwick.

Re: thw other Warwick

Post by Guest »

guest wrote:I don´t know about the soundtrack. But, about the song "Alfie", the best recording I´ve ever heard of it is by Dionne´s younger sister Dee Dee Warwick.
Regarding Dee Dee Warwick. First a background story: Dionne's given last name is spelled Warrick. It was misspelled on her first album as Warwick and she kept it as such. (I must say that I find that to be a bit incredible, quite frankly, that no one checked and corrected such an error as that.) My question is this: Dee Dee must have wanted to capitalize on her sister's fame by PURPOSEFULLY misspelling her last name as well. Otherwise, she would have been Dee Dee Warrick. I wonder if Dionne told her sister to do that? Or, conversely, I wonder if Dionne objected to having Dee Dee ride on her coat tails? I wonder why Dee Dee didn't simply record as Dee Dee Warrick?
BachtoBacharach

Misspelling

Post by BachtoBacharach »

Actually the name was misspelled on Dionne's very first single for Scepter "Don't Make Me Over" (which was the B side of "I Smiled Yesterday") which was released in October of 1962. Florence Greenberg did not like the tune and relegated it to the B side. DJ's flipped the record and made DMMO the hit.

The album "Presenting Dionne Warwick" was released a few months later. From the stories I've heard, the error was made at the pressing plant and Dionne Warrick became Dionne Warwick due to the error on her first single.

Interestingly, DJ "flipping" was also a factor in Dionne's "Alfie." The A side was a beautiful ballad called "The Beginning of Loneliness" and to back the A side, "Alfie" was taken from the "Here Where There Is Love" album. Burt and Hal's 'Alfie" was nominated as best song in 1967 and Dionne sang the tune to an intertnational television audience of about 200 million when the Academy Awards were telecast. DJs had been giving "Alfie" a lot of airplay from the album. The single was released shortly before the Oscar telecast. After Dionne appeared on the telecast, DJs started flipping the single due to public demand and "Alfie" became a big hit for Dionne.
An Enormous BB Fan

Post by An Enormous BB Fan »

I happen to think that "I Smiled Yesterday" is another one of Burt's (and Hal's) GREAT songs. As a gift, I gave a friend of mine a Dionne CD that had that song on it and her husband flipped over it. He had never heard it and said it was his favorite song on the CD. So I could certainly understand why they thought it would be a big hit song. I'm sort of shocked that it didn't go to #1.

HOWEVER! I have to say this: Florence couldn't see the greatness in Don't Make Me Over???? Was she deaf??? I mean, it's unbelievable to me considering how I still remember the first time I heard it. I just simply can't imagine anyone hearing that song (with Dionne singing it) and not being speechless. Of course the DJ's would have played it! How could they not have?

Post by Guest »

regarding "Alfie" hmm..Burt's excellent piano playing(it's heartfelt, yet kind of a jangly groove with those iconoclastic fills of maj 2nd's an 9th's) and those "heavenly voices" on Dionne's 1960's version.....
That's my version!!!

Did I mention Dionne's great vocal interpetation?