Writing a new lyric

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

An Enormous BB Fan

Writing a new lyric

Post by An Enormous BB Fan »

I had a crazy thought this morning.

If I were a record producer, I would ask Hal David to write a totally new lyric to replace "Me Japanese Boy I Love You". And then, with that new lyric and that FANTASTIC music that we know that song to be, I would give the new song to a popular singer.

I do believe that new song would be a hit today! (Obviously, it wouldn't work with that original lyric.)

Do you think Hal would ever agree to do such a thing? And do you agree with me that the song would be a big seller today?

Post by Guest »

I think it might work for a Disney movie, but not otherwise.
Certainly not in my top 50 or even 100 favorite Bacharach songs.
But Enormous... Like you, how do I love his music!
nateybird

Me Japanese Boy!

Post by nateybird »

I have never heard it, but I think the Japanese group Pizzicato Five covered the song a few years ago. Was it an underground hit? I think it would be a shame to re-write it for commercial success.

I love it just the way it is. I winced a bit :roll: at first at the playful, English-as-a-second-language lyric, but the story has a gentle loveliness that transcends the mild political incorrectness.

If burt and hal were asked to write a "hit" by today's standards and today's market, I feel that they would smile politely and decline. I could be wrong...

nate
I (heart) burt!