Burt's Best Interpreter (other than Dionne)

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

Other than Dionne Warwick, who is the best interpreter of Bacharach?

Dusty Springfield
57%
Chuck Jackson
5%
Lou Johnson
10%
Cilla Black
5%
Gene Pitney
10%
B. J. Thomas
5%
Elvis Costello
5%
Ron Isley
No votes
Jackie DeShannon
5%

Total votes: 21

Fretless

Best Interpeters

Post by Fretless »

Hi All:

I'm new here, but just wanted to say that Bacharach / David songs

are timeless works of art.

I just happened upon a PBS special one night, and there was Burt and

Ron Isley with this orchestra and wonderful backup singers.

I went out the next day and bought the CD. I can't stop listening to it.

I have to vote for Ron. This CD renewed my love for the music.

I also hope that I can get to see a Bacharach concert.

Cheers.

Fretless
Alp Herbert

Post by Alp Herbert »

I must agree with Marcel.

But if anyone can give an interpatation of BB's music it must be Herb Alpert.
Remember that BB is a composer and not in the first place a singer or poet!! :?

All the peaple mentiont before are singers so none of them can give a bb sound .
But anyway i like The Pixies version of what the world needs now.
Elvis Presleys version of any day now.
And Costello's never fall in love again.
nateybird

best interpreters = depends on the song!

Post by nateybird »

lou johnson and jerry butler? well, i guess i have a thing for baritones! dusty springfield? hm. why pick someone in the same register as dionne?

hal david's lyrics take on different meanings depending on the gender singing. i believe the character in "last one to be loved" is SO much more compelling as a male; CONVERSELY "wanting things" sounds so much more interesting sung by a female.

In the "social commentary" category, Scott Walker's rendition of "Windows of the World" adds a level of gravitas to the lyric simply because of lower tone BUT i could never imagine "where knowledge ends" sung in a lower register, as much as the sentiment is universal and as much as i identify with it.

so, who are the best interpreters? well, it depends on the song!
I (heart) burt!
gesdim

Burt's Best Interpreter (other than Dionne)

Post by gesdim »

I would vote Tom Jones , because Tom Jones perform 40 year with perfection many Burt's songs; still, I remember his interpretation of
Burt song "Walk On By ", " rare " version, available only in one TV show, released in 1967 !!
regards D.G.
Mihal

Ron Isley

Post by Mihal »

I recently heard Ron Isley on Here I Am, and he is now my favorite Burt interpreter....his soulful renditions of the Look of Love, House, Anyone who had a Heart, and several others are amazing. I hope they do more records.
AbyssFlame

Just voted..

Post by AbyssFlame »

I am the one who gave cilla her vote, and more fool you if you think she doesn't deserve. :!: :!:
15% of the worlds population control 85% of the worlds wealth. This is the world we live in.

Post by Guest »

rob wrote:The other 2 (Fool Killer and If I Never Get To Love You) were never issued as singles.
If I Never Get To Love You is one of those songs that was recorded by numerous people (Lou Johnson, Timi Yuro, Marianne Faithfull) but wasn't a hit for any of them.
linda76

Post by linda76 »

I dig Karen Carpenter.

Linda
~a tin pan fan~
Alvina

ok you got me thinking now....OHH NOO

Post by Alvina »

I loved Wynonna doing "Anyone Who Had A Heart" so much and wish I could hear an entire album of her doing his stuff. I also love Steve Tyrell's version of "This Guy's In Love With You". Luther does an awesome job with "A House Is Not A Home"......saw him in concert and that was the only song that got a standing ovation. B.J. does a wonderful job as well. I could go on and on.