Sears "Wishin' and Hopin'"

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

SteveS

Sears "Wishin' and Hopin'"

Post by SteveS »

Has anyone else caught the new ad from Sears? It begins with the briefest sampling of "Wishin' and Hopin'," using those words, then it develops a kind of non-descript background for the announcer. This follows on a several months-long campaign here in the metro/DC area by the Hechts Department Store. They used "Always Something There to Excite Me." Tacky; but I guess it's testimony to the BB/HD appeal at almost every level. Merry Christmas all. Steve
An Enormous BB Fan

Post by An Enormous BB Fan »

I sure HAVE heard it. They play it a lot here in NYC. That song has been a gold mine for Burt & Hal. It's a great song, too!

Another commercial plays What The World Needs Now Is Love, too.

If you're gonna sell products with music, then why not take from the best?

Post by Guest »

yeah..it's a lousy version....but I guess versions can't be seen on a royalty
statement...
: )
ron

Post by ron »

For those who might be offended or turned off by the commercial use of Burt's music - Remember This - It's used because it's effective. I suspect it will contribute to a whole new generation of BB admirers once they begin researching the origins of these "commercial ditties" and listen to the great recorded versions of these songs by Burt, Dionne, Dusty etc. My 18 year old is attending Dionne's southern California concert with us next week (his second DW concert) and recognizes all those BB songs in the movies and on television commercials (Austin Powers contributed to Burt's fan base as well).