Jimmy Webb

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

Hank

Jimmy Webb

Post by Hank »

Sorry to go off on a tangent again but my intentions are honorable, the link between Jimmy and Burt goes without being said and the music is fantastic...

I never really got into Jimmy although I always loved MacArthur Park, Gentle on My Mind etc...

Long story short, I downloaded the Thelma Houston album - Sunshower - (produced by Jimmy and featuring a bunch of his songs) and I've been absolutely blown away by it.

All Burt fans would love it.

Would love to hear what Burt thinks of these songs that might not exist were it not for him (and Hal) blazing the trail.

As always, would also love to hear any other recommendations within this (magical) sphere.

Thanks.
Rio

Re: Jimmy Webb

Post by Rio »

Burt said he really likes the A Tramp Shining album (the one with the green background).

This has many other Webb songs (though certainly not all from A Tramp Shining).

In genreal, the CDs mentioned in this page.

Fifth Dimension playing only Webb.

But frankly, although I'm a big Jimmy Webb fan and probably whistled Wichita Lineman more than any other song, I didn't know about the Thelma Houston album, so be careful about my recommendations. (In the 70s, in Brazil, Up, Up and Away, Park and Phoenix were inescapable. I later bought all the Webb that I could find. So nice to have found out that he was influenced by Burt...)

Maybe some of you will be interested in this book:
Rio

Post by Rio »

Ooops. Did I say So Nice (to have found out...)? That's by Marcos Valle, whom we found out had in Burt his greatest musical reference. (One of these days I will post more about this.)
Rio

Post by Rio »

I can't find a Cd I have with early recordings by Webb himself. Not a huge fan of that, but some songs are great. Couldn't find it on Amazon. May be there.

But I wanted to suggest that you check this out:

Sorry about this, but here's an interpretation by Feinstein that I love. (Jerry Herman is no chopped liver either!!)
Hank

Post by Hank »

Thanks all for the pointers. I am exploring excitedly !!
pljms

Post by pljms »

Webb would be surprised to learn that he wrote Gentle on my Mind, one of the early Glen Campbell hits that he can't claim responsibility for!

Most of Webb's output up to about 1970 betrays Bacharach's influence, especially the 5th Dimension albums, after that he set-out on an ill fated career as a singer-songwriter and went under Joni Mitchell's spell and, in my opinion at least, was never the same writer again, although the odd great song has seeped out - All I know, The Moon's a Harsh Mistress, The Highwayman and Time Flies are the ones that spring to mind. As for Thelma Houston, I saw her live in London a couple of months ago as part of a Motown tribute show, so sadly no Webb songs were performed but her voice is still a remarkable instrument and has lost none of its power. I personally think the Sunshower album was Webb's finest achievment as a writer, arranger and producer. Of all the songs on the album I think it's This is Where I Came In that has the most Bacharach touches, especially in the chord sequence. Written about 1965, this was originally recorded by the Contessas, four young ladies that Webb apparently met at College.
Last edited by pljms on Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul
Hank

Post by Hank »

Dear pjlms,

Thanks for correcting me on my Gentle on My Mind assumption. Assumptions can be dangerous !!

Can't find my favorite from Sunshower (The amazing To Make It Easier for You - did JW write that ??) on youtube but instead here's another Jimmy produced classic from the Supremes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UK_wM_18dbA
nymusicalsguy

Post by nymusicalsguy »

Jimmy did indeed compose "To Make It Easier For You" along with all of SUNSHOWER, with the exception, of course, of "Jumpin' Jack Flash." Two other Webb songs with distinct Bacharach influence are the stunning "If You Must Leave My Life" (recorded first by Richard Harris and later by BJ Thomas in a version recently reissued on CD by Collectors Choice) and "Why Do I Have To..." from Jimmy's 2005 solo effort TWILIGHT OF THE RENEGADES. Jimmy's early period is indeed magical, although every one of his singer/songwriter albums have a number of gems waiting for excavation, too, even if I miss the grand orchestration of his early days. Mr. Webb remains, though, a remarkable songwriter!
Hank

Post by Hank »

I am going directly to seek out that BJ Thomas track.

Thanks !
nymusicalsguy

Post by nymusicalsguy »

You won't be sorry, Hank. It's on the RAINDROPS KEEP FALLIN' ON MY HEAD/EVERYBODY'S OUT OF TOWN two-fer CD...in addition to those 2 title songs, the CD also contains "This Guy's In Love With You," "Send My Picture To Scranton, PA," and "Long Ago Tomorrow" from Burt's pen, and "Do What You Gotta Do" from Jimmy's. (I'm also partial to "I Just Can't Help Believin'" written by Mann & Weil and BJ's takes on "Suspicious Minds," "What Does It Take" and "Oh Me, Oh My (I'm A Fool For You, Baby)", all on this one CD!)

Joe
Rio

Post by Rio »

More Bacharach-influenced music...

Swing Out Sister

Album: Kaleidoscope World

http://www.cduniverse.com/search/xx/mus ... +World.htm
http://www.discogs.com/Swing-Out-Sister ... ase/801376

Arrangements 100% Jimmy Webb (see the links above):
(Forever Blue)
(Precious Words)
(Precious Words; instrumental. [Yeah, you read that right.])
blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

Jimmy mentions Burt..........

"blue"
Fussi

Post by Fussi »

Jimmy is one of my favorite songwriters. The man is a genius, and he loves Burt Bacharach.

Love, Mark
Hank

Post by Hank »

Here's Burt on piano with Richard Harris singing Jimmy Webb's "Didn't We" and something from Lost Horizon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTZ_h4obH-0
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

Hank wrote:Sorry to go off on a tangent again but my intentions are honorable, the link between Jimmy and Burt goes without being said and the music is fantastic...

I never really got into Jimmy although I always loved MacArthur Park, Gentle on My Mind etc...

Long story short, I downloaded the Thelma Houston album - Sunshower - (produced by Jimmy and featuring a bunch of his songs) and I've been absolutely blown away by it.

All Burt fans would love it.

Would love to hear what Burt thinks of these songs that might not exist were it not for him (and Hal) blazing the trail.

As always, would also love to hear any other recommendations within this (magical) sphere.

Thanks.
Hi everybody!

Maybe you would like to know that Thelma Houston's Sunshower is being reissued this 14th June (and at reasonable price). I've been after this record for some time!

It is announced in various CD sellers:

http://www.play.com/Music/CD/6-/Search. ... chsource=0

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=8204711