Burt's Yountville concert

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

CC

Burt's Yountville concert

Post by CC »

Just in case this hasn't been posted already, Burt's concert with the Napa Symphony in Yountville has been moved to February 19, 2005.
CC

Post by CC »

This concert was fantastic! Heard him do a couple of things I haven't heard in previous concerts. We were second row center with no one in front of us! My wife even got a chance to shake his hand after the show!
linda76

Post by linda76 »

Care to go into more detail? What was the show like? How long? Any talking?

Linda
~a tin pan fan~
CC

Post by CC »

I'll do my best to recall what I can...

It was essentially the same show as he has peformed over the past few years...opens with the same medley, which I thought was handled nicely by the symphony. I have vague memories of him doing just a bit of Bond Street in past concerts, but was pretty sure he did the whole thing (or at least more) this time. The stand out performance of the evening was "Etta's Theme" from Butch Cassidy. Burt said that he added this just five nights ago -- and I'm hoping he keeps it in forever.

Lots of talking to the audience..and yes, all of the same stories about "the woman who slighted him and then soon after faded into obscurity". Knowing that he was talking about Connie Francis, I had a good time listening to people guess (Heard someone who said, "He must be talking about Barbra Streisand!).

It was really fun being so close -- we've had good seats before, but we could see every expression on his face, watch him mouth the words as the others sang, and hear little directions to the symphony.

He was gracious enough to shake a few hands and I encouraged my wife to take a step forward and stretch out her arm...Lo and behold Burt looked right at her, came forward, bent down, and shook her hand. All she could think to say (and appropriately I might add) was "Thank You"

One of Burt's encores was Windows of the World...and he said that he never really understood the song when it was written but, in light of current events, he has a much better understanding of it. Not wanting to end the evening on a down note, he finished with "That's What Friends Are For" -- not one of my favorites, but definitely a crowd pleaser.
linda76

Post by linda76 »

Sounds great! Thanks for sharing.

Linda
~a tin pan fan~
mark
Site Admin

Post by mark »

Thanks for the report, CC.

Can someone refresh my memory--isn't "Etta's Theme" the same as "Come Touch the Sun"? Are there any differences between the two?
vincent.cole

Reply: Mark

Post by vincent.cole »

:D

Bonjour Mark;

Yes, I would say that "Etta's Theme" is the same as "Come Touch the Sun".

I played the 5 CD set, "Something Big" and could not tell any difference myself.

Take care mon ami.
8)

Vincent

Come Touch the Sun

Post by Guest »

Come Touch the Sun was a re-titlement of the tune "Etta's Theme"..
It is one of my favorites as well as Burt's....his orignal version featured
on the soundtrack record was also done live in the early 70's. It had those wonderful Bacharach "sea of strings" along with a nice "Harry James" trumpet solo, the horn sounding warm and vibratoish. Then there's the ending where the flugelhorn player plays the solo..
It used to be a "bane" for the flugel player live..sometimes he would miss that high note,(the high "A") or fluff it...this orchestration and composition is my idea of the best of Burt.
:)

Post by Guest »

I forgot to mention from the last post..the wonderful improvised Ravel/Floyd Cramer like piano under the flugel...marvelous, Burt!!!