Broken Record ?

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

Hank

Broken Record ?

Post by Hank »

Sorry if I seem like a broken record....just trying to bring attention to a fantastic record that I know many will love.

Here's what others have said about this album:

"Stephney’s work here is on a level of Burt Bachrach’s best with a beautiful hint of darkness"

"A criminally overlooked soul classic"

"an unforgettable debut. Bringing in arranger and producer Charles Stepney to put together an elegant, flourishing backdrop of orchestral overtones, the album bears a heavy resemblance to Bacharach/David recordings of the time"

"I'm spellbound and speechless. You'll rarely hear music this magical. Borrowing from soul, orchestral pop and psychedelia in equal measures and seemingly unscathed by commercial considerations"

"The arrangements are like a funkier Burt Bacharach meets Jimmy Webb"

"Charles Stepney's production and arrangements build the bridge between what Burt Bacharach was doing at the time to what Philly greats Thom Bell and Gamble & Huff were yet to do a year or two later"

Can an album many have never heard be this good ? In a word - yes.

Can you resist ?
Bruce Bernard Williams

Re: Broken Record ?

Post by Bruce Bernard Williams »

I'm sure all of us who read this post would like to know exactly what album you're referring to.
Hank

Post by Hank »

The great Minnie Riperton's Come to My Garden.

In the same way that I'm always on the lookout for hidden gems by Burt, I'm also always on the lookout for other hidden gems and for me, this is the mother-load. Just one song - Rainy Day in Centerville - is a motherload in itself.

Burt must be aware of this album and I'd love to hear what he thought of it.

Of course I'd love to hear what other Burt fans think too....

This was my introduction to Minnie (apart from Lovin' You (is easy cos you're beautiful)) and this of course lead me on a further journey of discovery which at times left me feeling like a love-sick schoolboy.

Sadly there just isn't enough of a catalog for Minnie - and tragically she died at 31 - but there are further treasures along the way.

I hope you enjoy as much as I.
BachtoBacharach

Post by BachtoBacharach »

Her daughter is Maya Rudolph the talented actor and comedian formerly of Saturday Night Live.
grooverider

Post by grooverider »

Dear Hank, Can Minnie Riperton really be that good? In a word, "yes!" the Britsh label, Stateside, has reissued Ms. Riperton's albums on 2 for 1 cd's, the albums she recorded for Capitol and Epic and they are a treasure. If you're a fan, I would highly recommend them and Capitol has a wonderful cd entitled, "Petals - The Minnie Riperton Collection" which is a 2 cd collection that spans her early career up to her later recordings and is also great overview of her artistry, which also includes a very informative essay by A. Scott Galloway and notes from her husband, Richard Rudolph and daughter, Maya Rudolph.
Yes, we lost her way too soon but there are, thankfully, records and cd's that capture her one of a kind voice and the magic that continues to find new fans!
Hank

Post by Hank »

Thanks for the pointers Grooverider. I hope some of the Bacaharach fans will also follow your leads to discover this wonderful treasure
blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

Wonderous track from an incredible singer........
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55xb0LYWqt4

"blue"
BachtoBacharach

Rainy Day In Centerville by Minnie Ripperton...when I first heard the tune I was immediately reminded of some of the great tunes Tony Hatch wrote and produced for Jackie Trent. Also, there is somewhat a Wall of Sound effect that the now infamous Phil Spector used. A great tune and one that shows off Minnie's beautiful voice.
Hank

Post by Hank »

Based on your comment, I think I need to revisit the Tony Hatch / Jackie Trent catalog.
I do love Joanna by Scott Walker - and the instrumental version of Where Are You Now is classic but I've never really listened to the Jackie Trent songs.
BachtoBacharach

Tony Hatch/Jackie Trent Where Are You Now
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJLESaA_XrA

Jackie Trent singing Burt and Hal's The World is a Circle...arranged and produced by Tony Hatch.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUrPI8lJ_pY
grooverider

Post by grooverider »

Another great version of "Where Are You Now" by Chris Montez, arranged and produced by the late and most talented Nick De Caro.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqudDlxTLw8
geoff85

Post by geoff85 »

I know this thread is a couple years old but I just had to add to this post. I recently discovered Charles Stephney by listened to some of the Dell's song and googled Charles Stephney vs. Burt Bacharach because I know Bacharach fans have supreme taste when it comes to music and would be able to lead me to more of his work. Low and behold I was right as it led me to this thread. I am only 27 years old( I know that whole angle is abused heavily on youtube lol) so alot of these songs are first time discoveries for me that I haven't even heard my parents play.

As the orginal poster said Stephney is really a genius who embodies the musical qualities of Bacharach, Thom Bell, and Jimmy Webb all rolled into one. I didn't know about the Minnie RIpperton song(s) so thank you so much. Here is my comparison of Stephney's work to what I believe are some of his influences from/om his musical comtemporaries.

Minnie Ripperton " Rainy Day in Centerville"- Many Bacharach elements in this. The crescendo from 1:37-1:52 is pure Burt. 3:05-4:00 is a typical Burt outro which he would fade out but Stephney actually added another element to it. Musical perfection.

The Dells " The Love We Had"- This one is very Thom Bell. I was shocked when I found out he didn't write it. The Harmonies in this song are from another world. 2:09-2:50 is some of the most beautiful music I have ever heard.

The Dells "Just as Long as we're in Love"- This might as well have been on Fifth Dimension's " Magic Garden" album the way it echoes Jimmy Webb's musical style and lush ethereal harmonies 0:52- 0:59 is classic Dimensions/Webb just missing Florence and Marilyn. 1:15-1:25 this is what the angels will sound like when they greet me at the gates of heaven. The Chorus reminds me alot of 5D " Working on a Groovey Thing" which I beieive was a Sedaka song.

I will try to find more songs of his and review them. Please link me to any to aid me in my journey of the love of wonderful music.
geoff85

Post by geoff85 »

BachtoBacharach wrote:Tony Hatch/Jackie Trent Where Are You Now

Jackie Trent singing Burt and Hal's The World is a Circle...arranged and produced by Tony Hatch.

I have never heard of Jackie Trent , Tony Hatch or that song but if that ain't Bacharach influenced. That song reminds me musically of Dionne Warwick "The Wine is Young" and a couple other Bacharach songs i can't put my finger on. Not sure which came first but someone was inspired by the other. Or maybe both were equally influenced by Antonio Carlos Jobim and just arrived at a similar destination?
BachtoBacharach

Tony Hatch was the driving force behind Petula Clark's comeback in the mid-sixties and is responsible for her hits Don't Sleep in the Subway and Downtown among many others. Hatch was married to Jackie Trent.
Hank

Post by Hank »

Yeah - a post of mine has been resurrected !!

Thanks Geoff85 !

Didn't know that Charles Stephney worked with the Dells ...and The Love We Had Stays on My Mind is a classic.

Another branch of his career to explore is Rotary Connection....some quite wacky psychedelic stuff here. My personal faves:

I Am The Black Gold Of The Sun

If I Sing My Song

...both sonic masterworks....

One of the things I notice about Stephney's work is the focus he places on parts of the songs other than the verses and choruses.