rasputin/dave b YOWZA!

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

nateybird

rasputin/dave b YOWZA!

Post by nateybird »

you can dish! LOVE IT! and you are RIGHT ... just because someone uses the tonal colorings of Bacharach does not make them "sound like" bacharach. if someone used a flugelhorn or staccatto trumpet to play a melody line, but the melody line was bland, reviewers and casual listeners would refer to it as "bacharach-esque" but i would think that an artist who uses unexpected chord changes and melodies would remind me more of bacharach regardless of what instruments they chose to present the material on.

so, can you, mr. b, name an artist that is bacharch-esque to you?

in my mind, he is a singular, inimitable voice. there are others who are comparable only in their talent as pop-song writers, like stevie wonder and joni mitchell, who both write complex but pleasing music that is uniquely there's. maybe others who share in some of bacharach's "sixties sound" and skills are Mancini, Quincy Jones and Tony Hatch? Phil Spector brian wilson and Scott Walker? hmmm...

look forward to hearing your ideas!
I (heart) burt!