Who dissed burt?

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

marko

Who dissed burt?

Post by marko »

At the Charlotte concert (and perhaps others), Burt mentioned that one very famous internationally known singer listened to a few bars of one of his early demo records in the 50's, stopped it, and said "what else do you have?" She dismissed him and it hurt. He indicated that he is still known and she isn't. Any ideas who this story is about?
newhere

Post by newhere »

I asked the same question myself, and the answer was basically "figure it out yourself". Don't know why there has to be a mystery. Seems like they could get more people interested with a real answer, but instead the intrigue.. :roll: Perhaps you'll get the answer I didn't. Did you enjoy the show marko?
BFB

Post by BFB »

Connie Frances
ron

Post by ron »

We all have a "shoulda - woulda - coulda" list! Isn't it ironic that one of her biggest hits was "Who's Sorry Now" ? While her voice has certain distinctive qualities - she doesn't come close to being a Dionne Warwick!
Things tend to work out for the best - don't they?
gabba

but...

Post by gabba »

but...in any case she did a great album of Burt's songs arranged by Claus Ogerman for MGM...this is really odd for someone who rejected the work of the Maestro...but...things in life change and ideas too. I hope you'll have the chance to listen to this LP,,,she's very good!!!

Connie and Burt

Post by Guest »

Regarding Connie Francis' rejection of Burt's songs.. At the time,
you must remember that Burt was writing very different songs,
a style unique and different.(unusual melody leaps,time signature deviations,etc.) I'm sure Connie was not used to that
and was more familiar with the 1920's style of ballads, of which
she recorded. Nor were Burt's songs really rock and roll, such as Stupid Cupid, Lipstick On Your Collar,etc. most of them being moderato ballads.
It was unfortunate for both of them, as Connie AND Burt could have had some great hit records togther!
alvina2758

RE: Burt dissed

Post by alvina2758 »

I always heard it was Connie Francis. oops forgot to login lol. I am wondering how she could have taken one look at this man and been anything but kind no matter what she thought of the paticular recording. The most insecure people sometimes abuse their little power trip. Seeing her in later years she became rather bizarre looking.
gabba

in fact...

Post by gabba »

in fact she had serious mental problems in the seventies due to a body violence from a fan...and she did'nt complete ricover from that...by the way his real name is Concetta Franconero from italian parents and probably i'm quite close to her talent because i'm italian too...bye to all guys and dolls of the forum
GehVorbei

Post by GehVorbei »

She performed this spring on German television network ARD in one of the huge Saturday night primetime musical variety shows we still have in this country. Though she was pretty heavy she sounded very good and came across every bit the huge star she once also was in this country and she got a great reception from the crowd. Like in many other European countries the state-owned networks here cater very much to a family crowd that includes much older target audiences than in the US. So much of the musical entertainment here on the weekend is like it was maybe on The Tonight Show 20 years ago. So you´ll see Petula Clark and Madonna, Mireille Matthieu and Justin Timberlake perform live on the same show.
Ron

Post by Ron »

Considering the fact that the networks continue to lose audience share as a result of higher quality entertainment and news programs provided by the cable networks - perhaps the timing is right to bring back the variety shows of the 50's 60's & 70's. I realize they failed in previous attempts to do so; however so many young people today are into the music and comedy television programs of yesterday.

Certainly worth a try! For starters may I suggest a weekend variety program emanating from the Ed Sullivan Theater in New York where David Letterman tapes his late night talk show. Are you listening CBS???
tom from staten island

Post by tom from staten island »

How true! I love watching the old Flip Wilson show or Glen Campbell or even Sonny & Cher when TV Land TV channel decides to air them on our local cable provider. Comedy, singing, dance, and ad-libbing of a high order is surely missing on the TV landscape today.
Ron

Post by Ron »

Tom from Staten Island:

I hope you work for CBS or Letterman!