Burt in Rotterdam

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

Chris1968

Burt in Rotterdam

Post by Chris1968 »

Hi! Greetings from Rotterdam where I will see Burt tonight. And you all can imagine how I am looking forward for this event. I am a fan of Burt Bacharach since around 20 years (I am 41 now) and this will be my first live concert!!! Of course I collected every kind of audio + video over the years but I never made it to a live concert with Burt. I am from Berlin, Germany and I a regular visitor for the Northsea Jazz Festival since many years but believe me I never was so happy as in this year. I saw many many great jazz legends over the years but this concert tonight will be my absolutely highlight.
Tonight he will appear toghether with the dutch singer Trintje Oosterhuis. I am everybody has the two Blue Note-CDs with the dutch Metropole Orchestra where she sings only Bacharach tunes.
So I will write again a few words when the concert is over. I also try to make some photos.
Best wishes to all of you!
Chris Muermann
Chris1968

Re: Burt in Rotterdam

Post by Chris1968 »

So I saw the two (!!!) Bacharach sets yesterday here in Rotterdam and it was more than marvellous. It was a dream for me that came true. But now to the reality. Both sets were scheduled for each an hour. But each set was nearly 90min. Both sets had the same music. So eveybody at the festival had the chance to see full sets of his program. It's interesting the London audience from the Roundhouse in October 2008 were more enthusiastic. I saw the concert on DVD recently. They applauded nearly after each song. Here in Rotterdam the audience was also in great mood but not like in London. But of course but got a standing ovation. At at the end of each set the hall was with with applause for Burt and his Band.
When he began to play "A House Is Not A Home", he said "This one's for Jane". But he didn't explained who Jane was. Did somebody know that? After the second set he was of course a little bit tired. He forgot the name of the sax player but he made the announcemets so great ... wonderful. He said "I made 5 sets an evening at the New York Paramount with Vic Damone. But that was years ago and I was a little bit younger". Everybody smiled. At the end he greated also sound technican named Scott who seems to be a little bit ill. Burt said "Scotty, come to my dressing room and Dr. Bacharach will give you little treatment. Burt said also that it is the first time he played on a jazz festival. Sadly I couldn' t made any photos. It was a lifetime experience which I will never forget. I hope that I see him again in the future. He looked marvellous and fit so my opinion is that he will be around for many many years.
Greetings to you all.
Chris Muermann
Burtelich

Post by Burtelich »

Hi Chris - I'm so happy for you that you experienced another wonderful concert. You may see in another spot of this discussion forum that I attended the concert in Antwerp. 'Jane' I have to tell you is the EXTREMELY LUCKY LADY who happens to be married to the man himself, she is Ms Burt Bacharach - Jane Hansen, I believe her full name is.

Take Care, E.. I'm still high after the concert Thursday
pljms

Post by pljms »

Thanks for that, Chris, but you failed to mention Trijntje Oosterhuis. Didn't she make her scheduled appearance or was her performance so forgettable it completely slipped your mind?
Paul
Sara D

Post by Sara D »

Here's a couple of Youtube videos, pljms, taken from Saturday night at the North Sea Jazz Festival showing that Trijntje Oosterhuis did indeed make an appearance with BB! Who'll Speak for Love is followed by Waiting for Charlie to Come Home:

Chris1968

Post by Chris1968 »

Hi! Sorry that I forget to mention Trintje. Of course she was very good. I even have her two albums with the Metropole Orchestra where she sings all Bacharach songs. And thanks "Burtelich" for the information about Jane.
Well, when I saw the concert I thought by myself ... is it better without a full orchestra or when the band play together with a full orchestra. I thought also wouldn't it be great if he plays together with the wonderful dutch Metropole Orchestra? I think that has also to do with money reasons that he sometimes play without full orchestra. But as I wrote before it was an evening which I will never never forget. And I hope that I see Burt sometimes again Live In Concert!
Best wishes,
Chris Muermann
gabba

Post by gabba »

this is a better view...enjoy...

bye GABBA
Burtelich

Post by Burtelich »

Absolutely Amazing - Thank you - fantastic!
vincent.cole

Post by vincent.cole »

Bonjour Gabba;

Great, great close ups!

Thanks.
Take care;

Vincent
Sara D

Post by Sara D »

Fantastic pictures of a remarkably intense performance. Trijntje Oosterhuis's nervous tension is there for all to see - remember that men sweat but only ladies are allowed to perspire! If I'd been there on the night I would have been disappointed that she joined BB on stage for only three numbers.