Bacharach and David songs by Gene Pitney

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

Pablo

Bacharach and David songs by Gene Pitney

Post by Pablo »

Please, what B/D songs recorded by Gene Pitney are missing here:

The man who shot Liberty Valance
Only love can break a heart
True love never runs smooth
24 hours from Tulsa
Fool killer

These five are on the Rhino 'Look of love collection', but I would like to know if he recorded any other.

Thank you very much !
blueonblue

Gene sings Bacharach/David...

Post by blueonblue »

Hi Pablo,
The two that spring to mind are;
"Little Betty Falling Star"
"If I Ever Get To Love You"
......can't think of any others.....apart from foreign language versions ???

"blue"
nymusicalsguy

Post by nymusicalsguy »

Gene also recorded "Donna Means Heartbreak" written by Paul Hampton and Hal David...Hampton, in turn, composed a number of songs with Burt including tunes for the Four Aces, Steve Rossi, Gene Vincent, Sonny James and Hampton himself. Small world, isn't it? :-)
BachtoBacharach

Another Question

Post by BachtoBacharach »

I love Gene Pitney and 24 Hrs from Tulsa is so evocative and has such a contemporary yet western feel in a way I can't put into words. The music and lyric mesh so perfectly.

Another question: Does anyone have a complete listing of the Bacharach/David tunes or Bacharach/whoever or David/whoever tunes Dionne Warwick recorded. Just from glancing at Dibotis's site on You-Tube I count about 98 but have no idea what remains in the vaults that has gone unreleased. I have heard rumors attributed to David Nathan that there are about three or four tunes Dionne cut with Bacharach and Neil Simon that have gone unreleased and there are some Bacharach/Bayer-Sager tunes that Dionne recorded that are unreleased as well. There are numerous demos that Dionne did of Bacharach tunes that are either lost or unreleased from what I hear. According to "Dibotis" Dionne's original version of Always Something There to Remind Me has never surfaced although she told the British press that she recorded the original demo of it in 1964 interviews after Sandie Shaw hit with it in the UK and she may have recorded the demo before Lou Johnson. Does anyone really know? David Nathan has had extensive access to the Warner vaults which contain all the Warwick/ Bacharach recordings. What is in there we don't know about? Would love to hear Dionne's original recording of "Everybody's Out of Town" that has never been found and which Dibotis refers to in the You-Tube site. That tune is so reminiscent of Odds and Ends, Raindrops and Who Gets the Guy and which was probably written in the same time frame. So much history out there-wish Dionne, Burt, Hal, Phil Ramone, Steve Tyrell, and others would get together while they still can and put together a comprehensive study of the story of this music and the personalities involved. Sorry for the long post but it's been done for Lennon-McCartney and Bacharach, David, Warwick, Pitney, et al all warrant study since this music helped define the 60s as much as Dylan and the Beatles. Just my opinion for what it's worth.
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

Thank you for the answers.

I agree with the last post: once you start listening to Bacharach songs (better with Hal David, another genius), you can see how ahead of EVERYBODY he has been.

And I don't think his work has been properly claimed, he's still a bit underrated, even after the Costello album (I don't know how it is in the US or UK).

He's simply the best songwriter of all time (in the pop field, I could only compare him to some people: Holland/Dozier/Holland, Smokey Robinson, Stevie Wonder).

All in all, and going back to Pitney, I think the best version of 24 hours from Tulsa is Dusty Springfields... that one makes me cry.

Sorry for the off off topics.
nymusicalsguy

Post by nymusicalsguy »

There's no definitive list of Warwick/BB recordings, but from this very website's fine discography, you can compile a complete list of their RELEASED recordings together, which I've maintained for a long while would make a very fine box set, indeed. Add to the list the unreleased Warner session you referred to (those songs are entitled "And Then You Know What He Did", "And Then He Walked In The Room", and "Plastic City") and a number of demos, and you have a fairly good idea of Dionne's Burt catalog. In my extensive research on their collaboration, I haven't tracked down any titles of BB/Bayer Sager songs they might have waxed which remain unreleased in the Arista vaults; if anyone can shed any light, please do! :-)
steveo_1965

Any Alternate Takes of Gene and Burt?

Post by steveo_1965 »

Any alternate takes out there of Gene Pitney and Burt's hits?
Like an alternate take of Liberty Valence, OR tracks by themselves?

Steveo
ron hertel

Post by ron hertel »

steveo_1965

Timi Yuro recorded "If I Never Get To Love You" - original version of this BB/HD song was recorded by Gene Pitney. Timi Yuro version available at the iTunes Music Store.
steveo_1965

ty Ron

Post by steveo_1965 »

Ty Ron, for the information on Timi Yuro. I'm assuming it was the same backround track?
Steveo