Cher´s new version of Alfie dumped from film remake

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

GehVorbei

Cher´s new version of Alfie dumped from film remake

Post by GehVorbei »

From Ireland-Online:

Cher's new version of the title song for Jude Law's upcoming Alfie remake has reportedly been dropped, after test audiences laughed at the track.

Although the song was made famous by soul veteran Dionne Warwick, it was Cher who actually recorded the theme for the original 1966 hit Alfie.

But the new version is certainly no better than the last, say sources, who tell America's Star magazine: "Cher's version destroyed the mood created by the film's ending and ruined the movie for me.

"It's supposed to be a soft, emotional song. But it was way too Cher-ish."

While Cher's representatives have no comment, sources say bosses at movie studio Paramount are hoping to land jazz sensation Norah Jones to record another version of the song.
mark
Site Admin

Post by mark »

Thank God for test audiences...

Post by Guest »

Hope the "Psychic Curse" didn't preclude Dionne from even being considered. Although she would sing it differently as a result of the changes in her voice - that song is hers!
BachtoBacharach

Alfie

Post by BachtoBacharach »

If there is any justice in this world, Dionne should get the chance to sing the tune for the movie! Seems fans voted worldwide in 1967 as to the interpretation they liked best, and the critics and the Academy agreed-it was Dionne who sang Alfie stunningly to a worldwide audience of 1.5 billion at the Academy Awards Ceremony in 1967.

I know Dionne is not as "commercially viable" as the Cher (who has become a caricature of herself) but maybe that perception is held only by the music marketers!

Let's hope so-maybe someone somewhere will realize that Alfie has always been a Dionne Warwick signature tune (as well as one of Bacharach and David's signature tunes as well).

Who should sing it

Post by guest »

We have all heard Burt sing it ...let him do it. :)
Bill

Alfie remake

Post by Bill »

I'd like to see the Holly Cole Trio give it a try, for or without the film.
Carlo

Alfe

Post by Carlo »

"Alfie" is the most overrated Bacharach's song, even by the maestro himself. It's sugary and bombastic. The famous "Bacharach touch" is nowhere to be seen in this song. Unbearable. The only acceptable version is the "soft spoken" one, with Burt, his voce and his piano.
Westgate'

Post by Westgate' »

I think the producers should just realize that Dionne should do the 'remake'....period.
An Enormous BB Fan

Post by An Enormous BB Fan »

I can't believe they won't use Dionne's original version. It's the epitome of a great singer doing a definitive version of one of the great songs of all time. And that Bacharach arrangement, my god!!

carlo....wow what courage

Post by Guest »

you said what i've always thought... what's the deal with alfie? i don't get it either...now don't get me wrong..anything burt writes is better than anything else...but alfie is just not my favorite i wonder why it it his?
GehVorbei

At least she´s better than Cilla

Post by GehVorbei »

‘ALFIE’ PASSES A COUPLE OF STONES: Joss Stone and a Rolling Stone team for Warwick remake.

*Mick Jagger of the Rolling Stones will sing backup for 17-year-old British soul phenom Joss Stone on a cover of “Alfie,â€￾ the Burt Bacharach and Hal David-penned tune that first became a hit for Dionne Warwick in 1966.

Stone’s version will appear on the soundtrack to a remake of the 1966 feature film “Alfie,â€￾ starring Jude Law in the role originated by Michael Caine.

"When I go to England, I'm going to put a day aside and go and do it," Stone told “Rolling Stoneâ€￾ magazine. "Mick Jagger is singing backup and Dave Stewart [Eurythmics] is producing. It's going to be cool." “Alfieâ€￾ hits theaters on October 22nd. Stone’s new album, “Mind, Body and Soul,â€￾ is due September 28th. The set features Angie Stone on piano, the Roots' ?uestlove on drums and Nile Rodgers on guitar.