RE:A DW CONCERT REVIEW IN UK

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

DARIO DARII

RE:A DW CONCERT REVIEW IN UK

Post by DARIO DARII »

fOREWORD: I've just got this and would like to share it with you. It came from a friend in England. I hope you will enjoy it like he did. Read on--

Dear Dario,

Fairfield Hall itself was in need of much renovation - I wish Dionne would have performed at a more fitting venue like the Royal Albert hall or even the Symphony Hall in Birmingham which is a super venue for an artist like Dionne.

The first 2 support acts were unannounced, unnamed and unmemorable.

Wearing a peachy/apricot coloured silk blouse tied in a cummerbund to her left and purple/brown tousers with glittering gold effects, Dionne casually strolled onto the stage to rapturous applause and whistles. She kicked off with the recent arrangement of 'Close to you' and then went into her usual set speech 'Welcome to YOUR concert'. There followed much of the Hits medley we are all familiar with though we were treated to full versions of most of them.
Remaining seated by the piano Dionne gave us her cabaret performance of 'Alfie' which had lost none of its charm and I found myself listening to the words more carefully than previously - lost in the melody and charisma of the occasion.
Dionne mentioned her World tour and that she had DONE all of Europe with the exceptiion of France which was to follow shortly. I did wonder if shw might mention Sasha Distel and perhaps have included a tribute song like 'Raindrops keep falling on my head' which they both recorded during their careers, but there was no tribute and no song.. Instead she confirmed that she had completed her first Christma salbum for release this year which seemed to please the audience.

IN fact I spoke to David Krause - the guy selling her albums and tour book - before the show, and I asked about teh album. He was not sure it would be generally on sale in the USA as Saxe Fifth Avenue department store wanted to give it customers as Christmas freebies instead of the usual teddy bears but I expect it will certsinly be available throughout Europe.

David Elliott, Dionne's son, did not appear in the show this year nor was he mentioned but Dionne confusingly said that the forthcoming DUETS album was completed and ready for release soon but then went on to contradict herself saying it was half completed because while she was in one part of the world the other artists were in the other and they couldnt get it together. This nicely led into 'I say a little prayer' which gained gasps of disbelief from the audience when Dionne said she would be duetting with George Benson on the album but tonight she would be singing both roles.

Patting her brow with her own mongrammed white silk handkerchief trying not to disturb her sleek tight golden hair, Dionne gave us 'Heartbreaker' and then the uptempo Brasil. The Celia Cruz version of 'San Jose' followed including a mesmerising virtuoso solo by her female pianist and Musical Director, whose name escapes me, which gained a huge round of applause from an appreciative crowd.
ON 'I'll never love this way again' Dionne soared just struggling momentarily towards the final crescendo. Playing very much to the audience on 'What the world needs now' getting us to join nteh chorus, Dionne concluded with'Thats what friends are for'.

The whole room erupted when she said goodnight and everyone rose to their feet, the atmosphere was electric and so satisfying for a die-hard fan like myself. My boyfriend saw the show with me and he hadnt seen Dionne live for a couple of years but he thought Dionne was singing better than ever and he has ssen almost as many shows as I have.

All in all the 100 minute concert was much the same as last year with the exclusion of the Jobim medley - 'Corcovado' and 'The Waters of March' - but nevertheless a stunning performance by one of the world's most elegant and sophistiated artistes.

Dario, I wrote the above review on 'The Ultimate Dionne Warwick' website on Saturday moring and have related it for you almost verbatim.

The Soulstress DVD tracks are as follows:
1. Medley - Always somethingthere to remind me/Anyone who had a heart
2. Have you never been mellow
3. medley: Thank heaven for boys and girls/Dont make me over/reach ou for me/Windows of the world
4. Love to love you baby
5. Alfie
6. mesage to Michael
7. The way I want to touch you
8. Medley: This girls in love with you/Walk on by/Say a little prayer/I'll never fall in love again/San Jose
9. Once you hit the road
10. Medley: Love will keep us together/ Sing a song/ Everlasting love/ get down tonight.

I have sent his show before which I think was recorded in Germany years ago and the track listing has been changed around somewhat.

Speak soon

Diwata Johnson , UK