are there any current writers worth listening to?

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

igtmfo

are there any current writers worth listening to?

Post by igtmfo »

We're all spoiled by BB .. it seems like the melody "gene" is recessive and hasn't been passed on to the current generation of musicians ...

Is there any current writer with product in the stores that can write a compelling, striking tune?

A musician friend of mine wondered a while ago .. "What ever happened to bridges ?" (!). ... that said ...

Can anyone write ...

-a beautiful melody, that is .. the play-of-the-melody against the dramatic changes (BB). ... Every dumb pop tunesmith today can write a somewhat interesting line of melody, but not the melody-play against changes ...

-a beautiful segue to a bridge (and beautiful bridge ... only BB)

- not to mention a wonderful opening instrumental riff ...

-and a tying-all-together thematically, musically, harmonically (BB, who else?).

Sorry to speak the obvious of why BB is great, but, is there anyone else worth listening to nowadays?
Dennis Webb

Popular Music Composers Today

Post by Dennis Webb »

Well, Burt's composing certainly does spoil you for anything else, doesn't it?

Although Burt has been my favorite pop composer (by a long shot) for more than 40 years now, I do find a LOT of pleasure in other composers' work as well. About five years ago I discovered the Japanese composer and pianist Keiko Matsui. She definitely has a wonderful gift for writing melody, though it is a different kind of melody from Burt's, somewhat akin to Japanese folk song. Her music is a combination of Japanese folksong, jazz, and classical elements. If you have never heard her, get a copy of her 1998 video "Light Above the Trees", which is a concert performance with a good, representative sample of her work. Her more recent "White Owl" issue contains a DVD of a concert from a couple years ago, along with a CD of the same concert. Keiko's piano technique is amazing and her music seems to have a very wide appeal. At the same time, there is a "personal" quality to it (for lack of a better word) that sets it apart.

I think anyone who really appreciates the originality and genius of Burt's arrangements should be exploring classical music if they are not already familiar with it. It's there you will find an unimagined world of musical invention and pleasure.

Maybe we could start a new Subject called, "If You Love Burt's Music..."
consisting of suggestions for "entry level" pieces of classical music that beginning listeners would find accessible and enjoy.
Blair N. Cummings

Post by Blair N. Cummings »

If you`re not familiar with the compositions of Jim Webb you have a lot of work ahead of you.
In addition, if you`re willing to dig for obscurities, check out the album by Paul Williams` former composer Roger Nichols entitled Roger Nichols and the Small Circle of Friends.[/list]
junkstar

Post by junkstar »

I'll agree with the above post and add Yasuharu Konishi to the list. His work can be derivitive but his long history in the pop world elevates his position in my view. I'd add Prince to the list as well. Extremely prolific, not afraid to experiment, very smart at composition.
rasputin

Post by rasputin »

Have you heard the music of James McMurtry (the son of Larry McMurtry of LONESOME DOVE, COMES A HORSEMAN, THE LAST PICTURE SHOW and TERMS OF ENDEARMENT fame)?

A friend of mine-- an English prof-- turned me onto a tune of his the other day.... while the musical ideas are stone-simple 3-chord blues/rock, the LYRICS are truly inspired and technically ingenious. Like Hal, Dylan, or Costello, this guy has truly transcended the moon/spoon/June school of lyric-writing.

Worth a listen.
Central Texas, USA
DARIO DARII

RE: IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN INTELLIGENT, DEEP SEATED FEEL

Post by DARIO DARII »

FOR GOOD TUNES, I

Suggest the music and lyrics of Broadway Maestro, Stephen Sonheim. I believe he alone, on sole effort, can carry off--Broadway tunes to the Nth level, many notches way up--from the current crop of writers in the recordings today.

Not doing much more are Michel Legrand, Antonio Carlos Jobim have a treasure trove of catalog enough for you discover. Though deceased as Henry Mancini, they are the top composer of all-time.

Rupert _Terminal Man"Holmes, Leslie-Bricusse-Newley, Jimmy Webb, Vinicius Moraes, Mexico's Manzanero, Agustin Lara, Brazil's Chico Buarque. Caetano Veloso and Ivan Lins have golden nuggets of catalogs.
Italy's Nino Rota and Ennio Morreconi and "Volare" Mandugno. the World's Music at your fingertips--Doppio D
Dennis Webb

While On the Topic of Movie Music

Post by Dennis Webb »

I was very impressed with Alexandre Desplat's soundtrack for the recent movie "Girl With a Pearl Earring". (A fine novel and movie, as well.)
Worth listening

Toms

Post by Worth listening »

You might have never heard of the songwriter Diane Warren, but I am sure you have heard many of her hit songs. One of the top songwriters in the last decade. Her list of hits is impressive.
Take a look:
http://www.octopusmediaink.com/DianeWarren.html
http://www.realsongs.com her web site.

Burt is still #1 in my book with his lasting melodies and his identity with them.
Tom