Shouldn't be a Burt song

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

nowmedical

Shouldn't be a Burt song

Post by nowmedical »

Here's a new challenge for everyone: name a Burt song that really shouldn't be?

Perhaps one that doesn't sound like him, or just not up to scratch?

I'll nominate "Heartlight" - not a hint of Burt in there.

ron hertel

Post by ron hertel »

Gee - this is gonna be tough! For starters - I kinda like "Heartlight" and it is probably the only Bacharach song I can imagine Neil Diamond performing well! .... I'll come up with some other nominations. I've considered a topic at the other end of the spectrum - songs that are "VERY BURT"!
Bruce Bernard Williams

My Little Red Book

Post by Bruce Bernard Williams »

"My Little Red Book" taken from the movie "What's New Pussycat?" as performed by Love really doesn't sound like a Bacharach composition at all. The different time signatures in that song is the only thing that would lead one to believe that it may have been written by Burt. Didn't Manfred Mann also do a version of this "non-Bacharach" song?
nymusicalsguy

Post by nymusicalsguy »

Manfred Mann's version is the one in the movie (Manfred actually recorded 2 versions, both of which are available on the now sadly out of print Ryko soundtrack to WHAT'S NEW PUSSYCAT, a film version & a single version) but Love definitely popularized the song to the classic rock crowd. The Manfred single version is one of my favorite Burt tracks, rocking but still definitely Bacharachian.
Joan NYC

Post by Joan NYC »

Three Wheels On My Wagon does not seem like a Burt song to me.