Gene's other "24"

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

blueonblue

Gene's other "24"

Post by blueonblue »

A seldom heard "hidden gem" from the late, great Mr Pitney......

"blue"
steveo_1965

Post by steveo_1965 »

Hey, I didn't know Gene Pitney wrote 4 musical bars of the Beatles"Here, There, and Everywhere"...(if Gene was the write of 24 Sycamore..)

witness the melody and chord patterns from thhis 4 bar phrase:
"So Mr World, look after that girl.
The one that I just left behind..." at 24 S etc.

The matchup:(Here, There, Everywhere-(1966)which happens to be Pauls favorite song...lol
"Each one believeing that love never dies, watching her eyes, and hoping I'm always near..."

Don't worry, Mr. Paul McCartney, it happens to all writers- it's happened to me(although i am an unknown) it's happened to Sonny Burke on "Bella Notte"Disney song -big chunk uncionciously taken from an earlier italian song);The Sherman Bros, "For Now For Always",love theme from Parent Trap, which I happen to love! subconciously taken from a classical melody by Ravel; "Step in Time"-from Mary Poppins(which was very close to a 1920's music hall song(watch Hullabaloo tv show with Petula Clark and Noel Harrison doing a dance to the simlar earlier composition)
I guess it cant be helped...there are only 12 chromatic notes in the
typical scale we use...
Regarding Genes other 24. by Burt, i think Burt was enamored by Lenny Bernstien's "Somewhere"...and patterned the opening "dah daaaa"after the 2 notephrase used over and over again in that song, but at least Burt built a whole 'nother thing around it.

By the way Blue..awesong song-very dynamic-thanks for posting!

Steveo
blueonblue

Gene..........

Post by blueonblue »

Thanks, Steveo for your interesting comments.
The song was written by the British songwriting team of Les Reed and
Barry Mason, some of their other hits include "The Last Waltz"
"Love Me Tonight" "Delilah" and "Love Is All"

"blue"
steveo_1965

Post by steveo_1965 »

Blue,
Regarding 24 Sycamore-guessing it is from 1963, like the poster on the video says....
this would make the comments about Paul Mccartney true...it it was written After 1966..it would be in the reverse(that Mason and Reed were
subconciously fudging off of Paul's song fof 4 bars..
Les Reed was Tom Jones conductor and arranger for many many years.

Steveo
nymusicalsguy

Post by nymusicalsguy »

How about Gene doing "24 Hours From Tulsa" in Italian??

Enjoy!

http://download.yousendit.com/41F84C844E32FFF2
steveo_1965

Post by steveo_1965 »

hehe..ty Joe for posting this interesting version. several thoughts assail me.
I'm sure the Italian words are different...we never hear Tulsa in here at all. Hal David was not at work here.
This type of lyric change happened with the song Love Me With All your Heart, the hit single by The Ray Charles Singers in 1963. On it's heels came Steve Allen's hit version Cuando Caliente El Sol(the same music)..words in Spanish, and instead of it saying Love Me with All Your Heart..it says When the Sun is Hot (at the Beach-En La Playa) lol A gentleman by the name of Luis Miguel wrote the lyrics. the American version of the song lists M. Vaughn, perhaps words and music.
The second thing is the different track levels show off Burts orchestration
differently. The Steel guitar is a big deal on this version....
The backround girls can be heard clearer...The opening horn dynamics are
distorted, but much more definitive in their intent (3 times-each time a little louder)
and The last thing is...Im sure Burt did not mix this record! The vocal is wayyyy too upfront and blasts your ass.....This happened with a lot of Neil Sedaka's 45's in Italian.The vocals realllly dominate the recods, without
a chance to really hear the track.
But, The italians had their version of a great tune. i wonder how it charted.

Steveo
Last edited by steveo_1965 on Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
blueonblue

GENE'S ITALIAN VERSION !!!

Post by blueonblue »

Steveo, Joe,
Thanks for the song......Burt's music sound's great in any language !!! :D

"blue"
steveo_1965

Post by steveo_1965 »

Joe,Blue,
I'm wondering what other "hit" records of Burt and Hal Songs had lyrics changed and dubbed in by the artists who gave us the original 45's?
The Shirelles? B. J. Thosmas?-Well in the Raindrops case in France.They simply had one of their biggest recoding artists-sasha Distel have the hit of the song.he's even featued on one of Burt's Kraft Music Specials from the early 70's.
At any rate, this opens up a lot of material for the Burt/Hal collector to
garner!, assuming that one can find out the altered titles to the songs in
each country's particular language. hehehe

Steveo
steveo_1965

the debate continues in my mind

Post by steveo_1965 »

the debate continues in my mind over who wrote what first
sir paul mc c. writing here there and everywhere or mason and reed writing 24 sycamore st.
i'm not sure...the date on the pitney song 24 sycamore st. is dubious...the video says 1963, but the first time i can find it on an album is 1968 the gene ptitney story, and some websites list it as being part of the album backstage(1966)others do not. the song doesn't seem to be a single, and it did not chart...but I know that around 65 or 66 gene went to england and thus got exposed to writers like mason and reed, who are english.. .hmm

Steveo
Addendum:there WAS a single released but it looks latter day Musicor. the label looks like it was ditributed by RCA for Art Talmidge Prod. Musicor 1487
now, I don't know if this is a re-issue, but i think it's an original, so that would put this record in the 2nd half of the 60's
stay tuned for my updates on this.
12:04pm sunday
this 45 i'm seeing on ebay seems to be a re-issue, in stereo! and has the copyright mark of 1973....so i go searching now for more info...
12:08pm sunday.
No, definitely not on the album Backstage....stay tuned..
12:13pm sunday
this 45 on ebay appears now to be an origional of a tune recorded in or around 66 to 68 appearing for the first time on a lp "the Gene Pitney Story"(1968)..later released in 1973 as a single..(Gene had stopped recording in 1972).So, I'm guessing it was one of those tracks recorded in the later 60's and then much later released as a single in 1973.Wikipedia shows it as the next to the last single Gene recorded. am I getting somewhere?(maybe) lol
12:26 sunday Final Addendum-the end of the adventure!

the Gene Pitney Forum(much like this forum) states the song came out in 1967.
(1967 24 SYCAMORE STREET (Reed/Mason)
Therefore making Reed and Mason subconciously taking from the Beatles
for 4 bars.
Not a big deal, but I will never hear the Beatles tune quite the same way now, as I hear part of the lyrics to 24 Sycamore St. in my head on that one part.The prettiest part where Paul goes into Bacharach territory on the melody(major 7th of the chord)

Steveo
Steveo
Last edited by steveo_1965 on Sun Aug 19, 2007 2:26 pm, edited 6 times in total.
blueonblue

BEATLES...

Post by blueonblue »

.............beautiful song !!!

"blue"
steveo_1965

By The Way Blue

Post by steveo_1965 »

By the Way Blue, assuming that Reed and Mason's Tune "Love Is All"
is the same tune recorded by Nick DeCaro on his A&M Happy Heart Album in the late 60's that cut is indeed a treat to the ears, and I highly recommend it to everyone...The title Track "Happy Heart" is arranged in a genius way..very similar to Burt's style of arranging.

Steveo
blueonblue

LOVE IS ALL...

Post by blueonblue »

Steveo,
This song was sung in the U.K by the late Malcolm Roberts one of
the most underrated singers ever.....

"blue"
steveo_1965

Post by steveo_1965 »

not the same song, blue, but nevertheless a nice song by a very good
singer!