Your Favorite Song

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

steveo_1965

Your Favorite Song

Post by steveo_1965 »

Id like to know your favorite song...there may be several...but pick just one right now, and I'm talking Bacharach or not......don't matter...

Steveo
Ill start it off...

mine is "Fools Rush In" music-Rube Bloom-lyric-Johnny Mercer
penned in the 40's.
Last edited by steveo_1965 on Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Schenck

favorite song

Post by Steve Schenck »

It pains me to try and single out a "favorite" song by Burt Bacharach, but my gut says, "Whoever You Are, I Love You." I was in high school when Promises, Promises opened. And before hearing the cast album recording, I heard the track on the "Make It Easy On Yourself" album. In those years, on the easy listening stations, you could often hear the Enoch Light singers doing "Whoever You Are..." Then I saw the Broadway show and got hold of the cast album. It remains, for me, a moving, difficult, but rewarding piece of music. I don't mean to say that other BB/HD tunes don't also have a great effect on me, but this one is in a class by itself. Steve
blueonblue

WALK ON BY.....

Post by blueonblue »

Hi Steveo,
Don't even have to think about this...my favourite Bacharach and David
song, I can still remember where I was, and what I was doing when
I first heard this track in 1964 and it hit me like a "sledgehammer" !!!

"blue"
steveo_1965

Post by steveo_1965 »

To Blue and Steve,
Both excellent choices, guys.."Whoever You Are" is a special song
and Walk On By is one the Burt/Hal all time greats! : )
Bruce Bernard Williams

Walk On By

Post by Bruce Bernard Williams »

Blue's choice of words reflect exactly how I, too, feel about "Walk On By". I still get a rush every time I hear it! On Burt's version of "Whoever You Are, I Love You" I believe the last words "Sometimes, your eyes look blue to me" are sung by Dionne in a cameo appearance. I wonder if any alternate versions and/or outtakes of Dionne's recordings exist? I can't find the box-set of early recordings entitled "Scepter/Wand Story" which has some conversation and "count-downs" on Dionne's recordings.
FK

Post by FK »

Dear friends,

I choose What the World Needs Now is Love.

It is a song to be heard every morning just after waking up.

Regards,

F. Kneese
FK
blueonblue

HEARTBREAKER !!!

Post by blueonblue »

Another interesting "clip" from "Derek" !!!

"blue"
hereiam

Fav song

Post by hereiam »

To make this just possible I must narrow down the choices with some constraints :lol:
But these are bound to change the next time I think about it

1. Fav. BB song by a male singer
Charlie sung by Bobby Vinton

2. fav BB song by a female singer other than Dionne
Knowing when to Leave (version from the musical Promises Promises)

steveo_1965

Post by steveo_1965 »

I am adding to my list 2 of Burtand Hal's little known songs:
Window Wishing-may I say that when Dionne sings for the 1st time in the song "window wishin' - thats what i'll do," etc. never have i heard her voice more outstanding....and Dionne if you're reading this, as my friend Bobby Keeter used to say.."what is one going to do for an encore, stand on their head and stack bb's?"(and you know that's very hard to do)so, Bravo , Miss Warwick!
Burt,
your ability for mixing at the recording board on dubdown is equally amazing as Brian Wilson's.. The way you sneak in the strings under "window wishin' - that's what I'll do"-the first time the phrase appears-I believe there are strings buried there, but oh so subtle....Genius, Burt!

Who is Gonna Love Me(magnificence ala Harry
James Orch with Jack Mathias arangements updated to the 60's by Burt)
he's taken us to heaven with his angelic choir, smooth strings, and dreamy trumpet solo. Again, another outstanding vocal by Miss Warwick.

: )

Steveo
p.s. on the Window Wishing youtube video of Dibotis' slides-I believe the gentleman at the very end pic in the studio with Dionne is John Williams-at first I thought it might be Don Costa, but his build doesnt fit. I think I recognize Mr. Williams(it's an early pic-could this be for the valley of the dolls soundtrack?
nowmedical

Post by nowmedical »

Young Hearts Run Free - Candi Staton