Dusty sings Knowing When to Leave video

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

pljms

Dusty sings Knowing When to Leave video

Post by pljms »

From the BBC's Rolf Harris Show in 1971. She stumbles on the lyrics towards the end but otherwise a nice version, I hope you all agree.

If we were all to compile a list of Bacharach songs that should have been hits, or that at least deserve to be much better known, I should imagine this one would be on everyone's. One of the problems, apart from the song's complexity, is that there isn't really a definitive recorded version. One of the better ones I've heard was by Gordon MacRae, of all people!

Paul
Martyn

Dionne's Version

Post by Martyn »

I think, for me, Dionne Warwick's version of 'Knowing When to Leave' would be the definitive one, from her 'I'll Never Fall in Love Again' album of 1970.

The arrangement is very similar to Burt's great instrumental version on his 'Make it Easy on Yourself' album.

Martyn.
pljms

Re Dionne's 'Knowing when to Leave'

Post by pljms »

I personally find her version sluggish. I don't think BB arranged it either. By the late 60s, he often let others arrange one or two tracks on Dionne's albums and the results were nearly always uninspiring.
Paul
steveo_1965

Post by steveo_1965 »

I think by the time Dionne's version was recorded, there were many arrangements to choose from...(ideas for Burt to use) Dionne's version is very nice, and I like it a lot...especially the the instrumental ending...That part is a gem!
But as far as giving it the feeling I like, Dusty's is the one.The version here on the Rolf Harris show is a little unusual arrangemnt wise, with some strange key shits (I prefer her version on the Burt Special as far as arrangemnt)..however, Dusty gives it her all her, and that is tops!(so this is a great one!)She really belts it out...I love it.
Steve Schenck

"Knowing When to Leave"

Post by Steve Schenck »

This is surely one of my favorite Burt songs. I especially admire his instrumental version found on the "Make It Easy on Yourself" album. While I thought Dusty's version was superb, and I also really appreciate Dionne's version, there is something to be said for Jill O'Hara's version on the original Broadway cast album of "Promises, Promises," from which the song comes. True, she doesn't have a great voice, not by Broadway standards or any other standard. But she has a power and conviction and feeling in her voice that makes you overlook the sometimes almost "crackly" quality of her singing. And the orchestration of that song on that album is mighty! Jonathan Tunick outdid himself in getting to the heart of Burt's arranging style and reproducing it so well.
steveo_1965

Post by steveo_1965 »

Steve,
I agree the instrumental version on Burt's album is superb..If you can get hold of the 1971 Burt special where Dusty appears..the arrangement is better, and it is patterned after the Broadway version. As for Jill O'Hara...
well, you are right -she does sing it with conviction...I just can't take her voice. lol
scotsgreg

RE: Jill O'Hara's Cast Recording Version

Post by scotsgreg »

I enjoy Jonathon Tunick's arrangement of Jill O'Hara's vocal from the 1968 cast recording and I agree that her performance has conviction and drama, but the one thing that I find frustrating with this version is that whoever was actually behind the baton during the recording allowed the pace to gradually slow during the extended 'chorus,' which undercuts its otherwise breathless power. It's always been so noticeable to me (and I don't consider myself having terribly sensitive ears) that I'm surprised they didn't rerecord it.

Personally, I think I would vote for Dusty Springfield's interpretation on Burt Bacharach's 1970 special, behind his own arrangement, as the closest to a definitive version of the song. Although I love Dionne Warwick's 1970 studio release, it's a touch too polished and contained to be as moving as her best work. Also, I'm afraid I might be the only one, but although I find the coda--an almost ubiquitous staple of Bacharach's at the time--charming, this one's chirpy, baroque flavor works against the feeling of the song to my ears. I've always edited it out when included the song on mixed CDs and such. It's omission actually allows the song more of an emotionally satisfying punch of closure, particularly when mixed among other songs. Try it sometime! (Sorry, it's the former radio programmer in me.)
steveo_1965

Post by steveo_1965 »

Scotts,
interesting comments...I do feel that the Dusty-Burt version on the Kraft Special is the best version....with the brass blast and harp loop and the end...
As far as editing out the baroque oboe ending on Dionne's version and Burts album version....well, I like to hear it, although the Dusty-Burt version eschews it.
And yes, the cast album drags on that chorus section....don't know why,
but all i can think of is time restaints, and recording costs!

Steveo