The 80th Birthday Concert!

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

Steve Schenck

The 80th Birthday Concert!

Post by Steve Schenck »

In a few years - not sure exactly when; it all depends on when Burt was actually born - Burt will celebrate his 80th birthday. Suppose you were planning an 80th birthday TV celebration concert. You are asked to decide on 12 numbers to be done, representative of Burt's career and talent. You can choose any artists or medium for delivering the 12 numbers. What would the songs be, and by whom would they be delivered? The only rule is this - Dionne can only appear once by herself; she may appear once more along with another artist or artists. How would YOUR show unfold? (I'm still working mine out!) I suggest we run this thread for a while with the "80th Birthday Concert" title, and let folks have a go at it.
steveo_1965

Post by steveo_1965 »

You are going to laugh, but I would put Dick Van Dyke in there, and maybe Merv Griffin...both who sang early Burt songs...and MErv is a great friend of Burt's for many, many years...
Also, Tom Jones has got to be in there.....
ron hertel

Post by ron hertel »

Other candidates: Aretha Franklin, Patti LaBelle, Jackie DeShannon, B.J. Thomas, video of the late Gene Pitney, Dusty Springfield & Perry Como.
Steve Schenck

not enough!

Post by Steve Schenck »

OK, guys, but I think we need more... Who is going to be singing what? Remember, operate under the parameters of just 12 songs - what you might fit into a 90 minute TV special. Which songs do you want performed, and by which artists? I'm interested in hearing where all our hearts and ears are on this one!
Roberto Pinardi

one great song.....

Post by Roberto Pinardi »

......Lost Horizon , Burt & Big Orchestra and Shawn Philips ...

Thanks

Bob
someonenameddavid

80th Birthday

Post by someonenameddavid »

But it either has to be in San Jose or Tulsa....

My choice would be Tulsa since it will have a brand new mega convention center by then and most people world wide (including me) heard of Tulsa *first* from Burt's music (and that's where I live now.... funny innit)

David
(and certain members of Burt's band have close ties to the area.)
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice, there is.
steveo_1965

Post by steveo_1965 »

Yeah, David...Tulsa...
I could take a ride down the Turner turnpike, and head for old stomping grounds in Bristow!

Steveo
Bruce Bernard Williams

T-Town

Post by Bruce Bernard Williams »

I agree with both David and Steveo! I remember that either in 2001 or 2002, Burt was to appear in Tulsa. At that time I was living in OKC and had made plans to attend the concert but it was cancelled for some reason or another. I now live in Tulsa and hope that Burt will come and give a concert because he is way overdue. The new arena being built here in Tulsa will be the perfect venue for Burt's performance, only wish Dionne would make a guest appearance and sing some new material penned from Hal and Burt! I have been listening to her do the same old material for 44 years and would enjoy hearing some fresh material for a change. The last time she performed in Tulsa was in the late 80's at the Brady theatre and, of course, I was there. The sound system needed tweeking a bit more but other than that, she was in rare form.