Dionne is back

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

rythemgrl

Dionne is back

Post by rythemgrl »

Dionne Warwick is coming out with a new CD! It's one of those duet cds where she pairs up with all these great artists and remakes a bunch of her classic songs. Olivia Newtorn-John, Gloria Estefan, Gladys Knight and a number of other great people are on it. I got to hear a copy at UMGD where i work and its amazing. SO soulful. If you want more info check out her website - www.dionnewarwick.info
Anyone gonna check it out Nov 7th?
Bruce Bernard Williams

Can't Wait!

Post by Bruce Bernard Williams »

Yes, I will definitely pick it up bright and early on the 7th. I have already set aside some time that day for a thorough first listening along with some friends. Even though the first phase of this project hasn't even been released as yet, I am anticipating the second phase (with all-male performers)! I can never get enough of her!! As I mentioned in an earlier post, I do wish that she, Burt, and Hal would get together for an album of new and fresh material (ala "Painted From Memory")!
Steve Schenck

I agree

Post by Steve Schenck »

Bruce, I agree with you completely! I suspect sometimes that great companion artists like BB/HD/DW, along with other combos such as Sondheim and Prince, may wonder whether they can make any magic alone, or with other collaborators. Their original magic was SO great, that they don't want to think that they can only succeed if they stick with this person or these persons. So they go other routes... I think that's great! And all of our great 3, Burt, Hal and Dionne, have done it. But I hope they won't shy away from working together again on a major project like an album, not just a song here and there. And, not to be morbid or anything, if they are going to do something like this they need to get at it soon. Hal is in his 80s and Burt is now not far behind. Dionne is sounding great, but you might wonder how long can that last... I would LOVE to hear an album of fresh, mature material from that fabulous triumvirate.
ron hertel

Post by ron hertel »

Steve - After waiting 35+ years - I believe that all of us would welcome such a labor of love by BB/HD/DW. Although rarely mentioned in this forum - one such effort by the triumvirate - "Sunny Weather Lover" was released as a single, included in the 1993 Warwick album FRIENDS CAN BE LOVERS, received excellent reviews and was virtually ignored in the marketplace.

Unfortunately - a large percentage of Burt & Dionne's fans from the 60's, 70's & even the 80's - do not keep up with what is happening today and are more than satisfied with the material that makes up the "Greatest Hits" repackaging that has literally flooded the market (check out the Bacharach or Warwick titles on any website that sells CD's). Although I am looking forward to Dionne's November 7th release of MY FRIENDS AND ME - all of the songs were first released between 13 and 44 years ago! It is also very similar to the 1998 project DIONNE SINGS DIONNE which featured 7 updated versions of previously recorded Warwick material including a number of guest artists.

For those of us who appreciate what is happening today - such as Burt's 2005 AT THIS TIME CD and his yet to be revealed work with Brian Wilson - I do hope that the "...album of fresh, mature material...." that you refer to comes to fruition in the near future in conjunction with a joint Bacharach/Warwick concert tour!
Steve Schenck

The once and future Burt/Hal/Dionne Project

Post by Steve Schenck »

Amen, Ron! The sooner the better! And you know what, even if in the taste of the general public it's a flop, it will be gold for those who know what is there. Let's face it, popular taste often has to catch up with the real thing. That is most evident in the world of painting; few impressionists made big money in their own day. Today, single works go for double-digit millions.