in London

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

blueonblue

Re: in London

Post by blueonblue »

Sara, neither can I.

"blue"
An Enormous BB Fan

Post by An Enormous BB Fan »

Sara D wrote:I remember, Blue, for a few years after his appearance in the first 'Austin Powers' movie where he sang 'What the World Needs Now' he was referred to as a 'crooner' more than he was a composer in the UK press, even by some of the broadsheets. Apart from getting his name better known I can't see how appearing in those movies really advanced his career.
I'm not sure if this is correct. That is to say, I think that being in a big hit movie is a good thing for someone. For one thing, it raises their "Q" score (the measurement of appeal of a celebrity), and, for another thing, it makes them more famous. "Hey, there's the guy that was in the Austin Powers movies -- let's go see him tonight." Celebrities pay publicity agents a lot of money to get their name in the papers. I think that Burt's appearances in those commercials back in the day helped his career also. I think that when people see you and talk about you, I think it does help your career.
Martin Johnson

Post by Martin Johnson »

His name is so distinctive, Sara, that people remember it even if they're not sure who he is and what he's achieved. This was brought home to me a couple of hours before the first Festival Hall concert in June when I happened to be passing the venue and came upon the Great man signing autographs outside the artists entrance. A girl in her late teens/early 20s sidled up and asked me who it was and when I told her she said, "Wow! Really?", and then proceeded to take photos of him being engulfed by autograph-hunters with her Smart Phone. I couldn't resist asking her if she was a fan and was disappointed but not surprised when she told me she hadn't a clue what he did but knew he was famous. When I told her the reason for his fame and reeled off about a dozen of his most famous song titles she emoted, "Of course, that's why I know him. I f..king love those songs!" But yes, for a while he was better known as that guy who sang a song on top of a bus in 'Austin Powers' than he was as a composer and that definitely wasn't a healthy situation.