They Don't Make Them Like They Used To

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

Peter Greenhill

They Don't Make Them Like They Used To

Post by Peter Greenhill »

Does anybody know anything about this song from the film mid 80s movie 'Tough Guys' starring Kirk Douglas and Burt Lancaster. It was sung by Kenny Rogers with lyrics by Carol Bayer Sager.

It doesn't seem to have been released in any form.

Really nice song
Steve Schenck

Re: They Don't Make Them Like They Used To

Post by Steve Schenck »

I just know that the song was written by Burt and Carole. I remember hearing the song in the late 80s and knowing immediately that it was a Burt tune. When I saw a movie poster, it confirmed my thought by listing Burt Bacharach as a contributor of music.
grooverider

Post by grooverider »

I just recently (within the last month) was going through the vinyl albums of my local store and saw a Kenny Rogers album with this song included (sorry, I can't remember the name of the album).
Peter Greenhill

Post by Peter Greenhill »

In fact I 've just done a search at amazon and the song was on a 1986 Kenny Rogers album called 'They Don't make Them Like They Used To'. This appears to have been re-released on CD in 2003 but is now out of print
Rio

Post by Rio »

I bought that CD in the 90s.
An Enormous BB Fan

Post by An Enormous BB Fan »

Burt must have been SOOOOO frustrated over the years... when he wrote what he thought was (and was!) a fantastic song... and then the song really didn't do well. I mean, Burt has had scores of songs that were as terrific as the hits but that never went anywhere. That has to hurt any artist, I would imagine.
steveo_1965

Post by steveo_1965 »

Which brings to mind a thought about supergroups, such as the Beatles, or super pop stars such as Elvis in their heydey...
I think anything the Beatles would have recorded on their 2nd
to 10th album, and the same with Elvis after his breakthru stardom would be a hit..it then, would be hard to judge the effectiveness of any individual song in this sort of situation....as they would automatically sell.(just a thought)
The artistic judgement could be ascetained a bit easier, based on one's experience of having the knowledge of how good songs are put together.
GehVorbei

Post by GehVorbei »

At least here in Germany the song is easily available on iTunes.

And being the title track of a Kenny Rogers album in the mid-80s actually gave it pretty big exposure. As a single release it went to #10 on the contemporary charts.