One Less Bell to Answer(the bomb)

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

grooverider

One Less Bell to Answer(the bomb)

Post by grooverider »

Can anyone remember what "One Less Bell to Answer" had to do with the plot on Robert Wagner's tv show, "It Takes a Thief" from the early 70's. I vaguely remember that a certain note of the song would set off a bomb (at least I think it was a bomb). I can't think of any other Bacharach song used so explicitly in the plot of a tv show/movie. I wonder if Mr. Bacharach had any input regarding the use of his song in such a way, which was pretty radical for the time, I mean his songs were songs one did not necessarily associate with any kind of violent act of any kind (and I'm not including any movie themes).
Yeah, it got the song noticed because I think "It Takes A thief" was a pretty big hit at the time.
Which leads me to another question: was the song a hit before this episode or did it's exposure help make it the hit it became?
Is the show available on DVD, I would really like to see this episode again.
steveo_1965

Re: One Less Bell to Answer(the bomb)

Post by steveo_1965 »

Iam not familiar with this episode, although I remember the series...
that's how "integral" Burts music was to the late 60's and early 70's..it was part of our "fabric"..every "movie of the week theme" on different networks, including some other knockoffs on ABC sounded like Bacharach..
: )
Steveo
Fool Killer

Post by Fool Killer »

That "It Takes a Thief" episode was called "To Sing a Song of Murder" (originally televised February 23, 1970) and starred The Fifth Dimension. That definitely preceded the song's November 1970 heyday, so yes, the TV show appearance helped spur the song to its success! Kinda bizarre to think of that song triggering a bomb...?!
steveoreno

Post by steveoreno »

I wonder if there is a demo of Dionne singing One Less Bell. I would love to hear her with a BB arrangment. The cover in "Dionne" was somewhat uninspired.. :(
grooverider

Post by grooverider »

I read a response on youtube that Dionne Warwick informed the audience, as an intro to "One Less Bell To Answer", recorded a demo in 1963 and was paid $40.00. That story was related by someone who attended her concert.