"Lost Horizon"

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

chantrice

Re: "Lost Horizon"

Post by chantrice »

How could Burt and Hal have written so many great songs anyhow? Is there any writer or writers today who constantly hit the charts with the frequency that Burt and Hal did from, say, 1963 to 1970? I know that Diane Warren was doing it for a while, as was Kenny "Babyface" Edmonds. Who else, if anyone?An Enormous BB Fan

Pop musics last great hit making machine was down in Philadelphing during the late 70's. It was the "Philly Sound," aka The Sound of Philadelphia or TSOP. Kenny Gamble, Leon Huff aka Gamble & Huff and Thom Bell were turning out hits and big hits at that with the steadiness of a factory. Their groups and artist (The O'jays, Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes, Teddy Pendergrass, Lou Rawls, Billy Paul, The Intruders, The Three Degrees, The Spinners, The Stylistics etc.) were toping the charts with alarming regularity.
rasputin

Post by rasputin »

I SO want to see this movie. And I don't care if it's lousy; I LOVE the songs!!!
Central Texas, USA
An Enormous BB Fan

Post by An Enormous BB Fan »

I rue the day that Burt and Hal were asked to get involved with Lost Horizon, because it was that involvement that ended their partnership. And they would have continued writing one great song after another and Dionne would have sung them. Maybe what I should regret is that the movie was so bad. But Burt's music and songs were glorious, as ever. The problem wasn't the songs, it was the singers. Who sings "I Come To You" on Burt's album, is it Libby Titus? Well, my point is that those are the kinds of singers that needed to sing those songs, not Sally Kellerman, Bobby Van or Peter Finch, for heaven's sakes! "If I Could Go Back" is such a wonderful, powerful and emotional song. It wasn't even sung in the movie -- it was spoken! I can understand why Burt was so disgusted and why he practically went into hiding after the movie was roundly panned by all the critics... and the moviegoers. He certainly didn't have to do that, but he's such a perfectionist. And he put so much time and effort into it and he got basically nothing in return. While I really love the music and songs, I still wish he had never gotten involved with that project. I'm sure he does too!