Burt in London tonight: concert review

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

nowmedical

Burt in London tonight: concert review

Post by nowmedical »

Just got back from the Roundhouse. Here's my take on tonight's concert:

BIG POSITIVES

1 just bliss to see a man at the absolute pinnacle of his career, and possibly his last trip to London
2 the standing-only downstairs gave a relaxed mid-week feel
3 he sang "The World is a Circle" - marvellous, I thought he'd gone into denial over Lost Horizon
4 Wives and Lovers: full instrumental version as on Something Big
5 Tower of Strength: forget the lyric, there's super instrumentation in there

FOR DISCUSSION

1 guest singers: sadly out of their depth (Jamie Cullum just about survived only because of his idiosyncratic voice)
2 John Pagano: tight, throttled voice tonight. Perhaps it was the acoustics or something
3 I always think this during Burt concerts, but because he has so many songs to play, it annoys when he shortens them
4 The Look of Love: did a basic version, missed out the wonderful instrumental extension as on the Ron Isley version
5 For The Children: beginning sounds like Windows of the World, and the rest very similar to a track or two on the Boston Orchestra live album in 1979-ish

Roll on Rome!
Barry in the UK

Re: Burt in London last night: concert review

Post by Barry in the UK »

A fantastic night and as always in the UK Burt got a great ovation before, during and after. As well as the BBC Concert Orchestra Burt had his core band with singers Donna, Josie and John. Special guests were Jamie Cullum, Beth Rowley and Adele. Here is the play list:

What the World Needs Now Is Love

Medley 1:
Don’t Make Me Over
Walk On By
This Guy’s In Love With You
I Say A Little Prayer For You
Trains & Boats & Planes
Wishin’ & Hopin’
Always Something There To Remind Me

Medley 2:
One Less Bell To Answer
I’ll Never Fall In Love Again
Only Love Can Break A Heart
Do You Know the Way To San Jose

Anyone Who Had a Heart (Vocal Josie James)

Make It Easy On Yourself (Vocal Jamie Cullum)

(They Long To Be) Close To You (Vocal Donna Taylor)

24 Hours From Tulsa (Vocal Beth Rowley)

For The Children
(Suite for Orchestra - written for the Sydney Symphony - European Premiere)

Baby It’s You (Vocal Adele)

Movie Medley:
The Look of Love (Part vocal by Burt Bacharach)
Arthur’s Theme
What’s New Pussycat
April Fools
Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head (Vocal by Burt Bacharach)
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
Making Love
Wives & Lovers (Part vocal by Burt Bacharach)
Alfie (Vocal by Burt Bacharach)
A House Is Not A Home (Part vocal by Burt Bacharach)

Encores:
Any Day Now (Vocal John Pagano)

Medley – The First Four Hits:
Magic Moments
The Story of My Life
The Blob
Tower Of Strength

What the World Needs Now Is Love (Reprise)

Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head (Vocal by Burt Bacharach and audience!)
pljms

Re: Burt in London tonight: concert review

Post by pljms »

Great show, great atmosphere, which BB, the core band and the BBC CO all responded to very positively. Although Beth Rowley didn't quite come up to scratch, it was nevertheless marvellous to hear 'Twenty-Four Hours from Tulsa' performed at a Bacharach gig for a change, ditto Adele and 'Baby it's You', and I thought Jamie Cullam did a very creditable job on 'Make it Easy on Yourself'. On first hearing I wasn't bowled over by 'For the Children' (sounds like a bit of a hybrid of several of his 70s instrumental pieces), although its inclusion at least meant we were spared 'That's what Friends are For' (apologies to those who like the song).
Paul
Roberto Pinardi

Post by Roberto Pinardi »

'For the Children'

GREAT MUSIC; THANKS MR. BACHARACH

Welcome back in Italy, Burt

Roberto Pinardi
pljms

Post by pljms »

Click on the link below for a 5 star review from today's London Evening Standard:

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/music/gig ... erComments
Paul
Fee Fee

Post by Fee Fee »

Just beautiful - the singers (not guest singers) were incredible.
They seem to know their craft so well, and know the music inside out.
So refreshing.
agillissen10

Post by agillissen10 »

Hi,

My trip from Belgium to see the concert at the Roundhouse was completely worth it. Before the concert we met some other great bacharach fans and had an interesting chat with them.

Great moment for me were the versions of "A house is not a home" and the new orchestral song "For the children", although I agree it sounds a lot like the Boston Orchestra live album from 1979 ( but I didn't mind since I love that album).

After the concert I waited at the exit for about an hour and was fortunate to let him sign some pictures and have a little chat with him, what a nice man he is.

One regret : they showed the concert on BBC2 and since I live in Belgium I wasn't able to record it and they don't allow viewers out of the UK to watch it on the web, so, if someone recorded it and would like to send me a copy I would really appreciate it since it was my mothers birthday and that you can see her on the concert film.

My e-mail is : agillissen10@yahoo.fr

Au revoir
Alain

Boston Orchestra live album in 1979-ish
Peter Greenhill

Post by Peter Greenhill »

Have watched and recorded the full concert on freeview 301 tonight. What a great concert, displaying a crossection of the full range of the music Bacharach has written over the last 50 years. I loved 'For the Children', a really beautiful orchestral piece. Burt's vocals on 'The Look of Love' and 'A House Is Not A Home' , and especially Alfie was great. Not perhaps technically ,but he squeezed every ounce of emotion out of these marvellous songs. Burt confirmed his status as one of the all time greats. I felt a my eyes turning a little moist at the end.

I envy the people who attended but at least BBC have delivered the goods by strong coverage.

Pete
Barry in the UK

Re: Burt in London: concert review

Post by Barry in the UK »

Just noticed in my play list (second post on this thread) I missed out The World Is a Circle. :oops:
It was in the movie medley after What’s New Pussycat.
Barry
Roberto Pinardi

Post by Roberto Pinardi »

Not Boston ....

Houston Orchestra album "Woman"

ciao
Rob
:shock:
Peter Greenhill

Post by Peter Greenhill »

Burt was interviewed on BBC1's 'The One Show' last night. This show always annoys me. They have good guests but then interview them for just a few minutes. However Burt's show was one of the better ones.

It can be found at www.bbc.co.uk/theoneshow for the next six days

Pete
Tony Hagon

Post by Tony Hagon »

How dare everyone says that they are BB's biggest fan, when everyone knows that I am ! <LOL>
Living in the north of Scotland 700 miles from London, and currently in a force 8 gale, it wasn't possible to get to the London concert but of course, saw it on tv and now on radio. Either I'll have to get better speakers or the BBC's output wasn't up to scratch as it came across a little 'thin' in places. Partner and I had to cringe in places at some of the vocal performances but that comes from a preconception of what it should sound like, I guess. Some of the performances were, however, excellent and powerful. Apologies to Beth Rowley. On the tv recording we had a little cringe, but she looked stunning. However, she grew on me in the last 48 hrs so that I have a different opinion of her performance as a result of the radio recording. I think I might well buy a cd of Rowley sings BB. I have seen vitriol expressed about 'For the Children' and for me the vitriol is that it was edited out of the tv performance. I am always inspired to -watch BB during an instrumental performance as his heart and soul that was doubtless behind the writing comes out for us (sorry, me, no one else counts! lol). As for similarities with 'Woman', amen to that, Woman for me was one of the most expressive and emotional pieces of work I have the pleasure to own. Sorry you didn't get a card from me on your 80th birthday, Burt, but you and your music are just too important to me for a piece of card to be lost in the deluge of greetings you doubtless received. Vivat!
Tony Hagon
blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

"For the Children" is as good as anything Burt did with the Houston Symphony in 79'
a work of pure genius !

"blue"
PS
I'd love to hear him perform a "concert" version of "Magdalena"......
blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

Wonderful moment from that fantastic concert !

"blue"
vincent.cole

Post by vincent.cole »

Bonjour Blueonblue;

Thanks for posting another segment of the show! :D

Take care mon ami.

Vincent