BB banned on the BBC?

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

grooverider

BB banned on the BBC?

Post by grooverider »

Reading the April '08 "Record Collector", one article is entitled, "The Big Banned Sound" and it lists the 100 records banned by the BBC. I was surprised to see a Burt Bacharach title: "Keep Me In Mind' by Patti Page which is listed on the Mercury label and released in 1955 on 78 RPM. The article states that the BBC didn't like the line, "Someone who'll hold you and keep you up right." (They didn't like the innuendo!) The article goes on to say that the song did play in America, but in England they played Alma Coogan's version, which changed the line to, "Someone who'll hold you and whisper goodnight."

I'm not familiar with this song. Can anyone offer any other info?
steveo_1965

Post by steveo_1965 »

I know that at one time in the not too distant past, the mp3 was posted on here of that song....
I don't think Burt thinks much of that early tune, but I'll tell you , it's not
bad!
A pretty decent song.....
Was surprised to hear it was banned by the BBC originally....
Steveo
alfalfa59

Banned in the U. K.

Post by alfalfa59 »

I am not suprised! Jimmie Rodgers "Honeycomb", which went to # 1 here in the U. S. was banned in England because the word "lord" was used in the lyrics! "The Battle Of New Orleans" by Johnny Horton, the # 2 record of the YEAR for 1959 here in the U. S. had to be completely re-recorded for issue in England, where it flopped. "Party Doll" by Buddy Knox which went to # 1 (and Steve Lawrence who went to # 5 here in the states) all versions of "Party Doll" were banned in the UK in 1957! I could go on....
An Enormous BB Fan

Post by An Enormous BB Fan »

Things were SOOOO different in those days. For example, Rob and Laurie Petrie (The Dick Van Dyke Show) were married but their bedroom had to show 2 separate beds. It had to be shown that they slept in separate beds.

And, if you can believe this one: Jack Paar, the very popular host of The Tonight Show was censored when he told a joke that referred to the term "water closet". Water closet was a term that meant "toilet". You couldn't even say "toilet", let alone "water closet" on TV in those days. Paar was so offended that he actually walked off the show in protest. He couldn't believe it either.

One more: "Let's Spend The Night Together" was a big hit for the Rolling Stones. When they were on the Ed Sullivan Show, Ed wanted them to change it to "Let's Spend Some Time Together". Jagger refused, so what Sullivan did was turn up the volume of the girls' screaming and he drowned out the words.

My how things have changed! If I told you what they show on Public Access here, you wouldn't believe me.