Burt in Tacoma

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

someonenameddavid

Burt in Tacoma

Post by someonenameddavid »

Those there would have witnessed the Burt Bacharach/Hal David reunion onstage...
a great premise for a world tour.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice, there is.
Bacharach Land

Reunion

Post by Bacharach Land »

I was there. The concert was indeed special. Hal joined Burt on stage and sang "I'll Never Fall in Love Again" after telling a story about how it was written. Overall, it was a great night. I will post a more in-depth review when I have some more time.

By the way, I am new to this board. I used to post regularly before it was required to register. Now I'm back! So, hello to all...

Oh yeah, the concert in Tacoma was $500. Needless to say, I was the only 25 year-old in jeans and a sweater. It was also my first chance to see my hero live, and I was extremely disappointed when they auctioned off meeting the maestro for $2,000. Hopefully he comes back soon. I'm afraid I am running out of chances to see him. :(

All the best,
Noah
gabba

500 dollars???

Post by gabba »

with due respect to Burt's craft and my admiration for him,i think 500 dollars are really a lot too much to see him performing!!!i would'nt spend that amount of money..sorry..
anyway good for you who you saw one of the last genius of music around and my compliments because you appreciate it..while so young...bye...GABBA
Laura

Post by Laura »

I also attended the Tacoma WA performance. I was one of the "performance only" tickets released for $150 so I sat at a table in the last row back corner. When Burt Bacharach announced that Hal David was in the audience, my eyes popped open and my jaw dropped! They put a spot light on Hal David and then he came on stage, hugged Burt Bacharach and told the story about writing songs for "Promises, Promises". He said Burt was sick when they wrote the music, so you can hear the word "pneumonia" in "I'll Never Fall In Love Again". Then Hal sang the song. He hugged Burt again and went off stage. I was able to shake Hal David's hand after the performance and told him what a thrill it was to meet him. Definitely worth the price of the ticket, airfare, hotel, and taxi!

Laura
Crownsville, Maryland
someonenameddavid

Post by someonenameddavid »

If anyone is interested, certain band members didn't know until a few minutes before the show and had to rapidly transpose some of their music into a different key to match Hal....

"B-flat" flawlessly :wink:

David
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice, there is.