Hasbrook Heights

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

nowmedical

Hasbrook Heights

Post by nowmedical »

Has anyone else spotted this little gem hidden in the mists of Bacharachland?

Is it true that Bob James had a hand in it?
BachtoBacharach

Post by BachtoBacharach »

He arranged the version recorded by Dionne Warwick which appears on her 1972 Warner Brothers album "Dionne".
nymusicalsguy

Post by nymusicalsguy »

This has long been one of my favorite BB/HD songs; while it's unique in its simplicity (both musical & lyrical), it's filled with the melodic quirks that define Bacharach. In fact, I might choose this over more well-known songs were I to introduce someone to Burt's work. A little gem it truly is!
nowmedical

Post by nowmedical »

So does Hasbrook Heights really exist somewhere? Is it worth a visit?!
vincent.cole

Reply: nowmedical

Post by vincent.cole »

:D Bonjour nowmedical;

Yes, there is a town in New Jersey between I80 & Route 17 called, Hasbrook Heights (Bergen County).

I have passed thru this town many times, but nothing caught my eye to stop and see the sites.

I am not sure where Hal David got the name from. If I see Burt again, I will ask him!
Last edited by vincent.cole on Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Take care;

Vincent
gabba

actual name...

Post by gabba »

i know the place too.. but real name is Hasbrouk heights if i'm not wrong... :? bye GABBA
Steve Schenck

hasbrook heights

Post by Steve Schenck »

I was living in NJ at the time the song first came out, in the early 70s. At first I thought it was written about that town; but when I went through it, it seemed like nothing much, nothing to write a song about. A classmate of mine who was from California told me that there is a Hasbrook Heights in California, near LA. "That's the town the song is about," he said. Well, I've never been able to get there to find out, but that's what I heard.
grooverider

Post by grooverider »

Dear Nowmedical, I thought that early in his career, Burt Bacharach lived in Hasbrouck Heights, I thought I read that info somewhere!
steveo_1965

Post by steveo_1965 »

I've lived in Los ANgeles for many years, but never ran accross a
Hasbrook Heights(or Hasbrouck)...doing a Google Search on it, I find nothing as well.
so i must be New Jersey....

Steveo
BachtoBacharach

Hasbrouck Heights

Post by BachtoBacharach »

Burt lived in Hasbrouck Heights, New Jersey according to Serene Dominic, and suspects he had a hand in the lyric writing as he explains in his book Bacharach:Song by Song. In his piece on the tune, Dominic's theory is that Bacharach either wrote the lyrics and gave blanket credit to Hal David or came up with enough dummy verses since Bacharach's busy schedule made it difficult for Bacharach to schedule songrwiting sessions with David. Barachach's recording was released in January 1971 on his A & M lp "Burt Bacharach." Dionne Warwick also recorded the tune in a version arragned by Bob James and included on her January 1972 Warner Brothers LP "Dionne."
blueonblue

Hasbrouck Heights........

Post by blueonblue »

nowmedical

Post by nowmedical »

Thanks everyone, fascinating. The overriding impression seems to be a place hardly worthy of
"throw some things in a grip..... take the early train;
it's a beautiful trip.... don't forget the name"

As an aside, is the Bacharach: Song by Song book worth it?; it's not available here in the UK, but I am tempted via Amazon.com
vincent.cole

Reply: nowmedical

Post by vincent.cole »

:D Bonjour nowmedical;

The answer is a big, YES!!!
Take care;

Vincent
Steve Schenck

serene dominic's book...

Post by Steve Schenck »

I agree with Vincent. I think it's a great book. I have read it all, though not in one sitting. I pick it up now and then and just review the commentary on whatever song or songs strike my fancy. It's got a wealth of interesting information, and lists the various collections of Burt's work. I think it's a great book. Steve
nowmedical

Post by nowmedical »

I have a Belgian friend (for all those non-EU folk, Belgium is next to France and has unspeakably good beer and desserts). He tells me that there is a town there called Hazebrook - which some people spell Hazebrouck. This depends on whether you are french or flemish-speaking (these are the two languages in Belgium).

Remarkably close to Hasbrook - Hasbrouck, methinks.

PS have ordered the book today!