Beautiful song sounds Bacharach to me

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

Rio

Beautiful song sounds Bacharach to me

Post by Rio »

Does this not sound like it could have been a Bacharach piece? When I was a kid I used to think it was. I still love it.

Pêndulo, by Brazilian musician and composer Egberto Gismonti:

(Please raise the volume.)

Please, send some feedback...
Steve Schenck

bacharach sound to a song...

Post by Steve Schenck »

Well, Rio, it did remind me a bit of Burt's work with its sometimes changing time signature, its asymmetrical meters, and the use of the horns. I didn't find the chord progressions reminding me of Burt's work much, though. Still, a beautiful piece from a land whose music obviously influenced Burt a lot. Thanks for posting it.
helcio mazzuco

Post by helcio mazzuco »

Hello Rio,
Thanks for posting this one. I've always loved this track and now I understand why...LOL...the Bacharach connection...
I have "Pendulo" on a CD by Gismonti called "Sonho 70" (Dream 70) and the whole album is awesome. Take care !
Rio

Post by Rio »

Thank you so much for your feedback, Steve and Helcio.

I see the way Gismonti sets up what's coming (would these be the chord progressions?) and the careful arrangement as possibly also helping explain why I thought it was a Bacharach song.

"Sonho 70" is one my favorite albums.
Last edited by Rio on Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blueonblue

"The Sound Of Brazil"

Post by blueonblue »

Hi Rio,
Thanks for that beautiful piece of music !!!
Here's another "favourite"........hope you enjoy it !

"blue"
Rio

Post by Rio »

Thanks, blueonblue! I thought of replying with another Jobim (Waters of March with Elis Regina [too obvious a choice, perhaps], Two Kites [not pleased with the renditions], Wave [idem], Luiza, One Note Samba/Samba de Uma Nota Só [Jobim and Gerry Mulligan chatting next to the paino] or a number of other of my favorites by him that are somehow represented on YouTube.)

But the same way I was delighted to find Pêndulo on YouTube, I was awfully pleased to find Bebê (Baby), by Hermeto Paschoal, played by him (piano) and Sivuca (accordeon). In my early 20s I rediscovered it (my grandfather who lived in Minas -- land of Milton -- had a radio that allowed me to listen to Rádio Cultura de São Paulo and its incredible selection of Brazilian songs). But since the late 80's I've been looking for it to no avail.

So, after careful deliberation, and in light of my recent discovery of the video, I chose to reply to your thoughtful choice with this old favorite of mine:

I hope this will not disappoint.