Burt on Qantas

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

Martyn

Burt on Qantas

Post by Martyn »

Hi,

Today, whilst flying between Sydney and Melbourne, I happened to pick up the January Qantas inflight magazine and discovered that on one of the audio channels, Burt's music was being featured, with the maestro himself talking about the songs being played and the artists singing them.

The host of the particular music channel is the eminent Australian rock music historian Glenn A Baker. There are over 20 of Burt and Hal David's songs featured.

Unfortunately it was late into the flight before I discovered the programme but I heard Burt talk about the Elvis Presley recording of 'Any Day Now' (which Burt did not produce or arrange) and the Beatles' recording of 'Baby It's You'.

A few of the songs featured are Australian performances by artists such as Marcia Hines and Johnny Farnham.

There are two tracks featured from 'At this Time': 'In Our Time' and 'Who Are These People?'.

Martyn
Rio

Post by Rio »

Thanks, Martyn. Very interesting.
Did Burt say anything about those recordings of Any Day Now and Baby It's You other than that they exist?
Martyn

Burt on Qantas

Post by Martyn »

Hi Rio,

From what I recall, Burt spoke about 'Any Day Now' as one of the songs he wrote with Bob Hilliard. He also spoke about the thrill of having it recorded by Elvis Presley. I think Glenn A Baker mentions that Elvis's version was recorded quite some time after the original version by Chuck Jackson.

As for 'Baby it's You', Burt speaks about the thrill of having a song he wrote recorded by the Beatles.

Martyn.
Rio

Post by Rio »

Thanks!
Martyn

Glenn A Baker's Interview with Burt.

Post by Martyn »

Managed to garner a few more snippets of info from Glenn A Baker's interview with Burt, on a Qantas return flight to Canberra this weekend:

Burt credits Calvin Carter as the first producer to allow him free reign at producing a single, on Jerry Butler's version of 'Make it Easy on Yourself'.

Burt used two grand pianos, playing exactly the same melody, on the recording session of 'Walk on By' with Dionne.

Burt would like to have recorded more with Dusty Springfield but she never felt up to it. She was very tough on herself.

When Dionne turned down 'What the World Needs Now' Burt was reluctant to try it with any other artist. But he did take it out of the drawer for Jackie De Shannon. As soon as he heard her sing the first few lines he remarked "Home Run!"

Burt notes the ease with which Dionne performs 'Promises Promises', describing attempts by others with this song as sounding like "a horse in labour!"

Martyn.
BB4LIFE

Post by BB4LIFE »

Elvis singing "Any Day Now."

BB4LIFE
BachtoBacharach

Dionne Promises, Promises

Post by BachtoBacharach »

Dionne Warwick singing Promises, Promises live at Wolftrap in DC in 1975.