Let's pretend we're grown up

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

Tom Bragg

Let's pretend we're grown up

Post by Tom Bragg »

Dear Burt fans,

Would anyone be so kind to post an mp3 link to download the song "Let's pretend we're grown up"? This song was originally composed for the Broadway play "Promises. Promises" but not included in the final version of the show. The existing recording is from a demo (almost) impossible to find.

I know some months ago it has been posted but I lost the chance to download it.

Well, thanks in advance!

Tom
Dennis Webb

Let's Pretend We're Grown Up

Post by Dennis Webb »

Tom,

The three additional songs Burt wrote for a movie musical version of "Promises, Promises" that never materialized are: "Let's Pretend We're Grown Up", "Tick Tock Goes the Clock", and "What Am I Doing Here". All three are available on the CD "Broadway: First Take, Vol. II".

I see that Apple's iTunes store has the album, so you can cherry-pick just those songs you're interested in. Amazon Resellers has the CD itself for under $6.

-Dennis Webb
Tom Bragg

Re: Let's Pretend We're Grown Up

Post by Tom Bragg »

Thanks, Dennis.
I have found it.
Tom
nymusicalsguy

Post by nymusicalsguy »

Hey Dennis (& all)!

The three songs you mention are actually cut songs from the Broadway production. "What Am I Doing Here?" was actually covered at the time by Eydie Gorme despite not making it to Broadway. The other cut songs that haven't materialized yet in any recorded form are "Hot Food" and "Loyal, Resourceful and Cooperative". I believe these only exist on a demo recorded by Bacharach & David themselves, not the demo singers (Bernie Nee & Rosemarie Jun) heard on the BROADWAY: FIRST TAKE demo.

"Seconds", as recorded by Gladys Knight, is one of the tracks Burt wrote with Neil Simon for the proposed movie version (which Liz Smith reported at one time was to star Barry Manilow)! Other titles, though not confirmed as being for PROMISES, may be "Plastic City", "And Then You Know What He Did", "And Then He Walked Through The Door ". All three were recorded at Warner Bros. with Dionne in 1974 (the same year as "Seconds") and remain locked in the Warner vaults. The last two titles especially sound like they could have been theatrical songs intended for a PROMISES movie. I'd give my right arm to hear these....!
helcio mazzuco

olá Tom

Post by helcio mazzuco »

Olá Tom,
Peço desculpa pela demora em te responder, quase não entro no meu
e-mail do MSN. Mandei a musica para vc, mas o e-mail retornou !
Qualquer coisa me escreva,
Abraço,
Helcio