"What's In Goodbye"

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

nowmedical

"What's In Goodbye"

Post by nowmedical »

Burt played the Royal Albert Hall in Kensington, London in 2002 and a certain Will Young was a guest vocalist. Will was an early winner of one of those find-a-star TV shows, but to his credit has an exceptional voice.

Burt wrote him a song which they premiered at that concert - What's In Goodbye - which I've never heard since. it was good Burt stuff with a bit of a swerve in the melody.

Can anyone throw any light on this?

Where is that song now?
Last edited by nowmedical on Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
pljms

Re What's in Goodbye

Post by pljms »

You'll find it on Will Young's 'From Now On' album. The lyrics were by former Brit pop starlet Cathy Dennis. Apparently BB wasn't happy with the song's arrangement on the Young album. Pity he didn't include a version of it on 'At This Time' because the song definitely has potential, although I suppose it wasn't considered because of that project's overtly political thread.
Paul
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Hi nowmedical

I agree that the song had great potential, though in my opinion it was lost on Young. His vocals (again in my opinion!) are lacklustre, flat and unoriginal - I really don't rate him at all. I saw him perform with Burt at the Liverpool Summer Pops and wasn't impressed in the slightest. Elvis Costello also joined Burt on that evening and there was no comparison, he was fantastic. Shame the song was wasted though!

Andrew
nowmedical

Post by nowmedical »

Andrew, so did Burt, Elvis C and Wiill Young all perform at Liverpool one night? When on earth was that?

I'm an Evertonian, and the only thing I ever went to was something called Creamfields...
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Yes, it was one amazing night at the Kings Dock Summer Pops Arena back in July 2002 and formed part of his UK tour. The Maestro was joined on stage by (alas) Will Young and then by Costello. I was also lucky enough to see them both perform in Dublin a couple of years earlier. On that night in Liverpool, Elvis got out a mobile phone, called his mum, told her he was in Liverpool AND with Burt Bacharach and then rested the phone on the piano whist he sang, accompanied by Burt - they both seemed to really enjoy themselves. Local lad Ian McNabb was the support act on the night. I was also fortunate to see the great Tony Bennett as another performer at the Summer Pops that year!