Marlene & Burt

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

nymusicalsguy

Marlene & Burt

Post by nymusicalsguy »

Thought forum folk might like a heads-up about a very swell new release, MARLENE DIETRICH WITH THE BURT BACHARACH ORCHESTRA (Bureau B, bb07, 2007). It's on the Bureau B label out of Germany, and compiles 20 tracks from Dietrich's recordings with Burt from the Columbia, RCA & Philips labels. The booklet has essays in both German and English, and if most of the songs don't resemble anything Bacharach would later orchestrate, they still are pretty remarkable. Traces of the later Burt are sporadic; I can hear a little bit of Burt's bossa influence in "Go 'Way From My Window" ever-so-slightly reminiscent of the beat to "Rain From The Skies". And "Another Spring, Another Love" has a dash of the Maestro's early 1960s vocal group arranging style. But to those of us interested in all facets of Burt's talent, I highly recommend this one which shows a bit of a Nelson Riddle-like touch in Burt's bag of tricks as conductor & orchestrator. Minor complaint - they left off Dietrich's sublime "Message To Michael" aka "Kleine Treue Nachtigall", to my knowledge the only BB/HD song she recorded.
steveo_1965

Post by steveo_1965 »

Joe,
Thanks for posting the news about this cd release. I feel that there is
some formative material in Burt's early arrangements with Marlene, that can be dug out, by the studious musician...one such arrangent is the soaring strings on "Falling In Love Again"...just the positioning or the tessitura of those string parts foretell some of Burt's style, etc...so I think it's worthwhile...
It is interesting that MArlene chose some9then) current stuff to record, including
Go Away From My Window, which I assume is Bob Dylans's song "It Ain't Me Babe"...how about THAT for a song for Marlene to croon on, eh?
I'm wondering who chose this stuff, Burt or MArlene...I can only guess...

And, "Where Have All The Flowers Gone"...a chestnut by The Kingston Trio
written by Pete Seeger? and later recorded by Johnny Rivers...

Steveo
An Enormous BB Fan

Post by An Enormous BB Fan »

What I found interesting and wonderful is how Marlene Dietrich knew that Burt was a true genius even back then. She had been around musicians and composers here whole life and she knew how very special Burt was.

I also remember reading that she wouldn't go on tour unless Burt came and conducted for her. That's how much he meant to her.
steveo_1965

Post by steveo_1965 »

Agreed, Enormous. There was also an inter-personal relationship
between the 2, in other words, I think that MArlene was totally charmed by
Burt's personna, and got wrapped up into it. She doted on him, and as
a friend and musical conductor, he did likewise.

Steveo
blueonblue

MARLENE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by blueonblue »

Joe,
Yes it does sound like "Rain From The Skies" !!!
I've never seen anyone "live" a song as much as this lady !!!
Very,very emotional performance from the incredible Miss Dietrich !!!

"blue"
steveo_1965

Post by steveo_1965 »

tower of strength styled muted brass intro and outro on song...very powerful performance, Blue..thanks for posting

Steveo
blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

................................Speechless !!! :cry:

"blue"
gabba

take that...

Post by gabba »

much more better...

i think...
steveo_1965

Post by steveo_1965 »

lol, and I prefer the Kingston Trio's version on Capitol...
the song was widely recorded, even tho 'ole Pete wrote it.

Steveo
GehVorbei

Post by GehVorbei »

Well I think Marlene's relationship to this song and why her performance of it was so devestating (though i don't particularly like this clip from her 1972 London concert) was because she had lived through war and seen combat.

From 1944-45, Dietrich made a major contribution to the morale of the U.S. troops while stationed in North Africa, and Italy, where she endured the loss of many creature comforts in order to stay at the front. While enlisting her talents to the U.S.O. Camp Shows Inc., she not only entertained, but assisted both the hospital and mess details. In the French and German campaigns, she often rode with General Patton and members of his elite staff through the front lines. She never wanted to be in a situation where it could be said, "Here comes the Hollywood entertainers!", she wanted to be a soldier with the men of the infantry, to say, "I am here, and if you want to hear me sing a song, or do a routine, or even come up here on-stage and flirt with me, you can!". She wanted to make the troops feel as though time had stopped for them, for just a minute, that's ultimately what she felt she was over there for. Her participation in radio broadcasts aimed at Germany was actually a "black propaganda" scheme devised by the O.S.S. and programmed to German soldiers to lower their moral and promote defections.

After 1945 she was subsequently awarded the "Legion of Honor", by the French government, and later given the title, and promoted to "officer" by President Pompidou. In 1947 she also in honor of her war eforts received The Presidential Medal of Freedom, US's highest civilian award, she was the first female recipient.

There is a clip where she sings the song in German and in Germany with Burt conducting in the backround.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPSmrb82ocM
steveo_1965

Post by steveo_1965 »

Thanks GehVorbi for the info on Marlene. There's a nice quick clip of her
attending the premiere of Snow White(Walt Disney)with Doug Fairbanks, Jr. in 1939 on youtube...

Steveo
Major7thChordsLover

Marlene and Burt....

Post by Major7thChordsLover »

It’s well documented that she liked Burt! I’ve got a video of her and when she starts talking about Burt, her eyes light up with delight and a cheeky smile!