In The Style Of "Burt"....

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

blueonblue

In The Style Of "Burt"....

Post by blueonblue »

Wonderful track by Jackie Trent, composed by her husband
the prolific songwriter Tony Hatch..........the closest I think,
we've ever got to a "British" Burt Bacharach !!!
This song was a "massive" hit in the U.K. !!!

"blue"
steveo_1965

Post by steveo_1965 »

Thanks Blue..
I've always felt that Tony was the British equivalant(did I spell that right?) to Burt...
wonderful song...

Thanks for posting.

Steveo
Steve Schenck

this song

Post by Steve Schenck »

I have to say that, of all the songs I've heard that have a "Bacharach flavor," this is by far the closest to the real thing. If I had heard this song on a radio, or someone sent it to me with no credit, I would assume it to be a little-known Burt tune. I wonder, did Tony Hatch ever acknowledge a deliberate attempt to imitate Burt, or did it just come out sounding that way?
Dennis Webb

This Song

Post by Dennis Webb »

This was one of my very favorite songs back in the 1960s, though back then I only knew it as an instrumental arrangement on an LP that Tony Hatch released, featuring instrumentals of some of his hit songs. At that time I also marvelled at how much it sounded like Burt's writing. Compare it to Burt's instrumental of "The Last One to be Loved".

Trent's vocals are pretty good on this recording, but I can't help hearing Petula Clark in my mind's ear. I forget the name of the vinyl album of Hatch instrumentals, but it's buried in one of my closets these days. If I could ever figure out how to transform vinyl into digital mp3, I could post the instrumental version, along with a couple of others that also strike me as Burt-like. Maybe I can find some time to work on this.
vincent.cole

Reply: Blue

Post by vincent.cole »

:D

Beautiful song!!!

Thanks mon ami!

Vincent
steveo_1965

Post by steveo_1965 »

Dennis,
was that instrumental called "Music".........???

Steveo
Dennis Webb

re: This Song

Post by Dennis Webb »

I did a little digging around (in my head and elsewhere) and finally came up with the name of the LP: "The Downtown Sound of Tony Hatch". Besides having instrumentals of various of his big hits, like "Downtown", etc, it had three songs I'd never heard before, which quickly became favorites of mine: "Music", "When the Summer Is Over", and "Where Are You Now?". All three reminded me somewhat of Burt's writing, but especially the last.

Hatch's instrumentals don't have quite the originality and musical interest that Burt's do. Some are better than others, but the three above-named are really special to my ears.

Does anyone remember Paul Mauriat, from the 60s also? Hatch's instrumentals remind me a bit of Mauriat: light, melodic, with an almost sad wistfulness at times. Besides Mauriat's well-known "Love Is Blue", I especially liked his "Love in Every Room" and "In the Days of Pearly Spencer".
steveo_1965

Post by steveo_1965 »

Dennis,
I think that certain songs of Tony's rival Burt's....I also know that Burt is the number one man, though!
This answers my question that the song Music , and Where Are You now are not he same song.
I too, have that album, of Tony's on WB, buried deep in my archive...
(right now the albums by and large are boxed and in storage.)
By the way, it has been said that the song, What The world needs Now was written for Gene Pitney...
I wonder what it would have sounded like with Gene doing it...would we have had hge same orchestration as the one for Miss DeShannon...
probably..then one would transpose Gene's voice onto that orchestration
aurally.The pitch or key of the song wold have been different tho,although Gene did have a high voice.

Steveo
grooverider

In The style of "Burt"

Post by grooverider »

I became a big fan of Tony Hatch due to his song, "Where Are You Now" when I first heard it on an album in 1967 by Chris Montez in a most wonderful arrangement by the late, great Nick De Caro. The album, "Watch What Happens" also contained a nice version of "The Look of Love" (to include a Bacharach connection). It is available in a remastered CD of Chris Montez music from his A & M years. Tony Hatch did an instrumental version, too. Great song!
blueonblue

info..........

Post by blueonblue »

Some "info" about Tony.........

"blue"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Hatch
blueonblue

TONY HATCH...

Post by blueonblue »

...............and a bit more.

"blue"
http://www.spectropop.com/TonyHatch/
Dennis Webb

re: This Song

Post by Dennis Webb »

Steve,

I poked around Apple's iTunes just now and found that they have the Tony Hatch instrumentals "Music" and "Where Are You Now". They also have Jackie Trent's "When the Summertime is Over" and "Where Are You Now?".

When I was on YouTube a few evenings ago, following a link posted here for some performance by Dusty Springfield, I happened to notice a video of her singing one of my favorite Carole King songs, "Going' Back". Interestingly, there were two or three additional verses than on either of Carole King's recordings of the piece. A very nice, soulful performance to Dusty, I might add. If you've never heard this song, the better of the two CK versions is the later one on her "Pearls" CD, by virtue of a much better crafted arrangement, featuring some nice guitar and harmonica work.
grooverider

Post by grooverider »

Hi Dennis, "Goin'Back" by Dusty Springfield is almost unbearable to listen to, the emotion is so great. An absolutely stunning one-of-a-kind performance that is so heartbreaking knowing that she is not with us anymore. It was played at her funeral and I thank the stars above that her legacy will endure. The Byrds also do a wonderful version of "Goin' Back".
Art
steveo_1965

Post by steveo_1965 »

Blue,
listened and watched the video of Where Are You Now
by Jackie Trent...
brought tears to my eyes and made me cry!
I guess anyone over 25 can relate to a lost love, eh.....
influential melodically, harmonically, and rhythmically on the following later songs..especially that triplet figure:
"One Less Bell"-Burt instrumental ending on his album
If You Must Leave My Life-Jimmy Webb/Richard Harris

Best,
Steveo

"Schhhhhocking"...(spoken in James Bond voice...lol)
blueonblue

Emotions.......

Post by blueonblue »

Steveo,
I'm not ashamed to admit it, but I wept as well !
Only great music can have that effect !!!

Take Care,
"blue"