I have this play I wrote...inspired by Burt Bacharach...

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

Jerry

I have this play I wrote...inspired by Burt Bacharach...

Post by Jerry »

Although I've been a member of this list since May of last year, this is the first time I've ever posted anything, 'till now. I'm not much of a web person and have always been hesitant, seeing how certain folks in cyberland seem to enjoy hurting other people. However, having read many of the posts on this Burt Bacharach site, you strike me as a rather genuine & devoted bunch! I've also been moved to write this by the beautiful and heartfelt outpouring of sympathy over the past ten days, since the tragic loss of Nikki Bacharach. I want to add my own voice to those who've already spoken...and hope that Burt, Angie (please excuse the first name familiarity, but we sorta feel we...know them?) and the entire Bacharach Family knows that there are people out here who appreciate the man's work enough to wish comfort on him and his loved ones 'At This Time'...
Anyway...Life is Short...as we all know...so I'll get to why I'm writing. My name is Jerry Perna. I'm a professional actor/playwright/coach, who lives in the Philadelphia-USA environs. About a year-and-a-half ago, I had a play-with-music that I wrote produced, called SEVEN MEN FROM NOW. It was inspired by my own belief that there are many roles a man plays over a lifetime---father, lover, friend, son, soldier, etc.---but only rarely, has the opportunity to catalogue them in such a way that might make some sense to him, or, to those he loves. In addition to this inherent 'belief', it was also inspired by the music of Burt Bacharach (and just as crucially---the lyrics of The Seriously Great Hal David!), as well as, the music of Jimmy Webb...the music of Brian Wilson...and John Barry...and Ennio Morriconne...and about a dozen sixties 'Garage Bands', with 'The' before their names! Because it's The Music that helps this man through his journey into some self-realization. That, and four angels who guide our hero thru this 'male museum'. The whole show hangs on the slender thread that the songs a person hears at the age of 5, or, 6 influence one's thinking...about life, love, war (What WAS George W. listening to?!?) and 'the whole damn thing!' and asks the musical question:

*** "WHAT DO YOU DO WITH A BURT BACHARACH ***
SENSIBILITY IN A HOWARD STERN WORLD?!?"

It's a question I ask myself quite frequently these days...perhaps some of you good people out there ask it too...anyway...not to take up anymore of your time 'at this time' (sorry), but the show is a man exploring these roles, guided by women and The Music.
This show had a complete production at the 2005 Philadelphia Live Arts Festival. I'm not sure where I'm going with this, but you're all free to comment. And, thanks Burt. And thank all of you for listening.
Jerry

Bacharach Show Picked-up by NEW CENTURY TV!

Post by Jerry »

I wanted to put my two original postings regarding my show, SEVEN MEN FROM NOW, with adapted music by Burt Bacharach/Hal David, Jimmy Webb & Brian Wilson, as it has been picked-up by the NEW CENTURY TELEVISION network, an online arts/holistic network with over 26,000 full-and-part time subscribers!

I look forward to the fall release of a DVD dealing with, not only, the show itself, but, its' creative process and---most importantly!---the musical spell of this amazing trio of songwriting genuises!! I've already been in contact with Jimmy Webb's company, who know about the project and are looking forward to its' progress. If anyone has any suggestions about how I might present it to the Wilson & Bacharach camps, please don't hesitate with suggestions!

My original postings give some background, not only, on the basic plot, production history, but song selection & some personal notes.

I'm hoping to use the finished DVD to 'shop the show around', as it were, to regional theatres in the US, Canada & Europe, where, of course Mr. Bacharach has a dedicated fanbase. Again, all the music in the 2005 production was covered under existing ASCAP 'Festival Theatre' agreements.

Again, my name is Jerry Perna. My show is SEVEN MEN FROM NOW and, if you like , feel free to check-out my background on...
www.myspace.com/jerryperna

THANKS!

Knowing that there are many theatre & music professionals on this listserve, I'm hoping, perhaps, to drum up interest in future productions! Any suggestions would be most welcome. And I'd be happy to email a script to any serious professional parties.
nowmedical

Post by nowmedical »

This is all a bit dull.

Maybe it's because I'm English.
Jerry

Post by Jerry »

If the shoe fits, Reggie...!
steveo_1965

Post by steveo_1965 »

Jerry,
I share your enthusiasm for the project, and I hate to say it...
but I told you so...that you would be successful!
I wish you the best with this, and hope to see it one day on
DVD!
Steveo
Jerry

Post by Jerry »

Thanks Steveo, for the kind words of support!

Will keep you posted!

Jerry
steveo_1965

Post by steveo_1965 »

Sounds good, Jerry!

Steveo
heartlight

BB sensibility, etc

Post by heartlight »

Jerry,

You're a fellow Upper Darby-an , how curious ! My family is still in the area but I no longer live there.

Your play sounds wonderful and I, too, hope to see it someday on DVD..

Good luck in your venture.
Jerry

Post by Jerry »

Thanks a Million, Heartlight! Yes, Upper Darby has its' unique urban charms, that's for sure! I saw Brian Wilson, one of musical muses for SEVEN MEN FROM NOW, there in concert, at one of his first performances on tour again, back in 1999...a really incredible evening. I'd never witnessed so much support & love for a single artist in performance before---and I saw Sinatra twice!!
And, as we know on this listserve, a couple of collaborations b'twn Mr. Wilson & Mr. Bacharach, were recently released on that Target collection.
Wonder if Mr. B will ever play the Tower...it's gotta be one of the great acoustical venues ANYWHERE!

Anyway, feel free to contact me, Heartlight, offlist---ttjperna@hotmail.com---if you'd like to share more U.D.-lore, or, if you have any questions regagarding SEVEN MEN...

And, thanks for getting in touch...
Jerry
steveo_1965

Post by steveo_1965 »

Impressive "slide show" on your myspace site, Jerry...thanks for sharing..
Jerry

Post by Jerry »

Thanks, Steveo. A former acting student of mine designed the whole page...claimed that this whole myspace thing was a gasser and the kids were really digging it the most!! Go Figger?!?

CIAO!
Jerry

Post by Jerry »

here are the original SEVEN ME FROM NOW postings...

Any response, ideas, suggestions, yey or ney...toss 'em my way!

THANKS!!!