Bacharach pick of his fav. songs on BBC radio 2

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

hereiam

Bacharach pick of his fav. songs on BBC radio 2

Post by hereiam »

BBC radio 2 DJ Ken Bruce asks different artists each week to
name their fav. tracks
Recently Bacharach was asked:
See this link:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/shows/bruce ... ?bacharach

The songs were rather surprising as i expected Bacharach
to have better tastes (just my opinion)

Perhaps 10 songs were way too few for our genius to pick
them and so he just said any out of his head
Steve S

Can't find the 10...

Post by Steve S »

I clicked on the link and saw the advert about Burt's 10 favorite songs, but couldn't find any way to see what they were. What do I click on? Wherever I clicked I just got more words about other BBC Radio 2 shows. The picture, the words, nothing responded to my clicks. What am I not doing, or doing wrong? Steve
hereiam

Re: Bacharach pick of his top 10 on BBC radio 2

Post by hereiam »

In case you cannot view the BBC 2 page, here are the songs Bacharach picked:

Monday
7 November On Broadway George Benson
What A Fool Believes The Doobie Brothers

Tuesday
8 November People Barbra Streisand
Stand By Me Ben E King

Wednesday
9 November Papa Was A Rolling Stone The Temptations
Ain't No Mountain High Enough Diana Ross

Thursday
10 November Sexual Healing Marvin Gaye
Just Once James Ingram

Friday
11 November The Long & Winding Road The Beatles
Is That All There Is Peggy Lee

For me, i only think Peggy Lee's song was worth it.
Ron

Post by Ron »

I have seen this list before and was somewhat taken back by his choices. I do like some of these songs particularly "Is That All There Is?" and "Ain't No Mountain High Enough". Interesting to note that in 1970 Diana Ross and Dionne Warwick were both nominees for Grammy Awards for best female pop vocal performance for "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" and "I'll Never Fall In Love Again" respectively. DIONNE singing BURT'S song walked away with the GRAMMY! I watched that awards show and still recall seeing Dionne's reaction as they panned the audience while naming all 5 nominees - As Diana's name was read Dionne flashed a big smile and shook her head up and down acknowledging that Diana would be named the winner. Needless to say - Dionne was shocked and surprised when it was announced that Dionne Warwick was the Grammy recipient.

Perhaps more interesting regarding favorite songs was a response given by Dionne's son David Elliott during a performance with his mother here in San Diego last year. Dionne and David were engaged in some between songs patter regarding Dionne's forthcoming duets project. She explained that she had asked many of her friends in the business to choose a favorite DW song that they would sing together on the project. As Dionne explained it - she asked David the same question and before he could give her an answer they had to "dig out" her old recordings which conveyed the message that her boys did not grow up listening to her music (my 2 sons had no choice). When Dionne revealed David's favorite song performed by his mother was "Love Song" written by Lesley Duncan (included on her first Warner Brothers album DIONNE) I was astonished!
As they performed that "easy listening snoozer" I was hoping that the other participants would make better choices for the project which I believe is now finally underway.
pljms

Mistake

Post by pljms »

His first choice on the Monday of that week was actually 'After the Love is Gone' by EW&F and that's what he and the DJ discuss, but they played George Benson's 'On Broadway' instead by mistake. That's the BBC for you.
Paul
GehVorbei

Post by GehVorbei »

And here are the choices of a sixtysomething grandmother from New Jersey - DW´s favorites:

Try To Remember/The Way We Were-Gladys Knight

On My Own-Michael McDonald and Patti LaBelle

Deliah-Tom Jones

I Just Dont Know What To Do With Myself-Dusty Springfield

Here And Now-Luther Vandross

That's The Way Of The World-Earth,Wind and Fire

I Write The Songs-Barry Manilow

How Can You Mend A Broken Heart-Bee Gees

I Just Called To Say I Love You-Stevie Wonder

Come Fly With Me-Frank Sinatra

Post by guest »

has anyone seen his itunes picks? When I have more time, I'd like to take a look at the differences between the bbc and itunes lists. but just offhand, i think they are pretty close.

Not that i didn't know this before, but the guy really knows his music. Sounds funny-Burt Bacharach can really pick some great songs. I guess what I mean is that i love most of his favorite songs too!!
GehVorbei

Post by GehVorbei »

His celebrity playlist picks were:

"Yesterday" - Shirley Horne

"Un-Break My Heart" - Toni Braxton

"Tears In Heaven" - Eric Clapton

"Is That All There Is" - Peggy Lee

"What´s Going On" - Marvin Gaye

"Ain´t No Mountain High Enough" - Diana Ross

"Sexual Healing" - Marvin Gaye

"Just Once" - James Ingram

"Baby Come To Me" - James Ingram & Patti Austin