McCormick Presents Earth, Wind and Fire

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

Rio

McCormick Presents Earth, Wind and Fire

Post by Rio »

http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/feature ... -headlines

Shining stars on ice: Earth, Wind & Fire, skating champs perform together

By Terri S. Vanech
Lifestyles Editor

November 10, 2005

Right about now, nine award-winning skaters are gathering at the Arena at Harbor Yard in Bridgeport to put the finishing touches on Saturday's "Earth Wind & Fire Tribute on Ice."

The two-hour program, an ice show set against a live performance by the 35-year-old contemporary pop group known for such spirited hits as "Shining Star," "September," and "Boogie Wonderland," will be filmed and shown on NBC Saturday, Dec. 17.

You'd think such an endeavor would require a great deal of rehearsal and preparation, but as of late last month, much of the show had not been nailed down.

"Everything will be dictated by the songs," says Verdine White, Earth, Wind & Fire bassist. As of Oct. 24, he couldn't say for certain what the band would play (the producers help determine that, he says), except that the audience will likely hear many of the group's classic songs: " 'Fantasy,' I assume 'Shining Star,' 'September,' although it'll be December" when the program airs on television. "This way it'll be fresh, it'll be different."

Brian Boitano, the 1988 Olympic gold medalist headlining the show, says he's been working since summer choreographing his two solo routines, but won't find out what group songs are planned until he arrives in Bridgeport today.

"Everybody comes prepared with their own work," Boitano explains, then the whole cast spends nine hours on the ice each of the two days leading up to the performance working on the group numbers.

Skating to live music poses a challenge. "A lot of musicians change it up a little, but for skating, it's important not to," Boitano says. Routines are choreographed specifically to the music, even particular lyrics. "Most musical artists understand," he says.

Boitano started preparing his solo performances this summer by seeing Earth, Wind & Fire in concert in Los Angeles, one of the stops on the band's recent tour with Chicago. And he's been practicing using several different recordings of "Pure Gold," a song off the band's new disc, "Illuminations" (Sanctuary Records Group); and the 1975 ballad, "Reasons."

"I love that song! As soon as I heard we were doing Earth, Wind & Fire, I said, 'I want "Reasons," ' " says Boitano, adding that he is drawn to the "ballad flavor and emotional quality" of the piece.

Other skaters performing are 1984 and 1988 Olympic silver medalist Brian Orser, 1984 Olympic bronze medalist Jozef Sabovcik, 1995 U.S. national champion Nicole Bobek, two-time U.S. Pro Am champion Caryn Kadavy, 2003 world dance champion Shae-Lynn Bourne, 2000 American Open champion Rory Flack Burghart and three-time U.S. national champions Jenni Meno and Todd Sand.

The performance, sponsored by McCormick, is produced by Disson Skating and is the fifth in a series. Previous shows were tributes to Aretha Franklin, the late Ray Charles, Burt Bacharach and Andrea Bocelli. Boitano says he enjoyed skating in the Bocelli tribute at the Arena at Harbor Yard last year and was thrilled to be returning to Bridgeport.

White expects the skating aspect of the show to draw a family crowd. "It's going to be a lot of fun," he says, adding, "I know they are going to try to get me in some ice skates. I'm from Chicago originally and I've never ice-skated in my life."

He doesn't sound like he's ready to give it a try, either: "I'm not breaking a finger or an ankle; there's nothing fun about falling in front of everyone."

what: "Earth Wind & Fire Tribute on Ice"

where: Arena at Harbor Yard, 600 Main St., Bridgeport

when: Saturday, 7:30 p.m.

price: $45-$115

Copyright © 2005, Southern Connecticut Newspapers, Inc.