'The April Fools'

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

blueonblue

'The April Fools'

Post by blueonblue »

To quote Hal David....

Are we just April Fools ?
Who can't see all the danger around us ?

'blue'
Jim Dixon

Re: 'The April Fools'

Post by Jim Dixon »

Today I learned that tucked away on an Earl Klugh smooth jazz album from 1976 is a nice solo guitar arrangement of April Fools:

Earl also did a nice solo version of "Any Old Time of the Day" on his first all-solo album, 'Solo Guitar', and he cut 'Alfie' on a 2013 solo guitar album.
Jim Dixon

Re: 'The April Fools'

Post by Jim Dixon »

I actually watched "The April Fools" a few months back for the first time, mainly because of the Bacharach connection and because I love Jack Lemmon. It's obscurity today is probably deserved, but the party scene where Jack meets Catherine Deneuve is so good, almost like something in an Austin Powers movie...it's such a heightened presentation of Manhattan high-flyers negotiating the new counterculture. The title song deserved to be on the Rhino Box...it could have taken the slot of "On My Own", which seems like a less successful attempt to write the same kind of soaring MOR ballad.