Pizzicato Five sing Bacharach.

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

blueonblue

Pizzicato Five sing Bacharach.

Post by blueonblue »

And now for something completely different...some interesting and unusual interpretations of Burt's music....

'blue'
Jim Dixon

Re: Pizzicato Five sing Bacharach.

Post by Jim Dixon »

Thanks for posting that--I was only aware of their "Me Japanese Boy" cover. Hard to believe their moment in the sun in the US was almost 30 years ago. The "Baby It's You" arrangement at 9:01 is probably the most eyebrow raising thing in the video.

And who has successfully pulled off "Pussycat" without seeming like they are doing Tom Jones at the Karaoke bar? That's a song that feels so custom-tailored to Jones' voice and phrasing that it's not easy to escape the shadow. I guess the mid-sixties Bob Marley offers one solution. I might have worked well in Marianne Faithful's neo-Weill "Twentieth Century Blues" project, or for Ute Lemper. For more run of the mill 60s versions, I think Bobby Darin missed the boat by basically reproducing the Tom Jones arrangement, while Steve Lawrence turned it into a sort of meta-commentary on the lounge lizard figure and made something a bit unexpected.
blueonblue

Re: Pizzicato Five sing Bacharach.

Post by blueonblue »

Jim,
Regarding their superb version of 'Baby It's You' it's the Flugelhorn, Burt's signature sound.

'blue'