'Moon Over Wichita' (cover versions)

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

blueonblue

'Moon Over Wichita' (cover versions)

Post by blueonblue »

A cover of a recent Bacharach/Tashian composition...I know little or nothing about the singer.

And Karen Carpenter ?

'blue'
Last edited by blueonblue on Sun Sep 24, 2023 11:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
pljms

Re: 'Moon Over Wichita' (cover version)

Post by pljms »

I wonder when or even if we'll get to hear what were allegedly the last two songs Bacharach and Daniel Tashian wrote together, 'Starlight Hotel' and 'You're In My Heart Now'. Apparently Tashian was putting the finishing touches to both songs at the time of Burt's death.
Paul
blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

pljms wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 3:28 am I wonder when or even if we'll get to hear what were allegedly the last two songs Bacharach and Daniel Tashian wrote together, 'Starlight Hotel' and 'You're In My Heart Now'. Apparently Tashian was putting the finishing touches to both songs at the time of Burt's death.
Let's hope so.

'blue'
Blair N. Cummings

Post by Blair N. Cummings »

It`s more than likely that Burt left very specific instructions pertaining to unrecorded and unreleased music. Given that none of his own albums were reissued with outtakes or "alternate" (imperfect) versions, I expect all of his scores and other material to be donated to an institution where properly credentialed scholars and musicologists may examine them. Unless, in Burt`s family, there is the Max Brod or Dmitri Nabokov figure to overrule his wishes, I doubt that the public will hear much - if any - of this work. There is little monetary value to recorded music now and the Bacharach name retains its cachet only to the ever-dwindling remnant of us Truman-era Boomers, so I don`t expect an avalanche of "major labels" - whatever that means these days - to come knocking.
I hope I`m wrong.
pljms

Re: 'Moon Over Wichita' (cover versions)

Post by pljms »

'Moon Over Wichita' has grown on me substantially since I first heard Daniel Tashian's original version eighteen months ago and I now find it just as haunting as another Wichita song. No, not THAT one:
Paul
blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

Meanwhile, on the subject of "Wichita"......

'blue'
pljms

Post by pljms »

Blue, that video was posted on the forum several weeks ago on the topic 'The musical genius of Wichita Lineman'.

I've remembered that there's a connection between Shawn Colvin and Jimmy Webb other than the fact that they both wrote songs with 'Wichita' in the title and it is that she recorded his 'If These Walls Could Speak' on her album 'Cover Girl', which as the title suggests is an album of covers.
Paul
blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

Paul,
Apologies, an oversight on my part...just one of my many "senior moments" :oops:

'blue'