Marriage, French Style and its successors

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

mue

Marriage, French Style and its successors

Post by mue »

Is anyone familiar with the Burt Bacharach song Marriage, French Style from the film What's New Pussycat?

I've listened to this song for a long time, but it's only recently that I discovered that it's been adapted into two other songs. One called Dance Mama, Dance Papa, Dance, the other called Dans Je De Hele Nacht Met Mij

Does anyone have any insights to the creation of these other two songs and the history behind them? I've found a few articles on both, but nothing that really goes into an specific details regarding the history of their compositions/arrangements.

I also can't seem to find any vocal recordings of Dance Mama, Dance Papa, Dance. Apparently it was recorded by Joanne and The Streamliners, but I have yet to find a recording of this.

Marriage, French Style

Dance Mama, Dance Papa, Dance

Dans Je De Hele Nacht Met Mij

Example Articles I found:

https://books.google.com/books?id=cz5bA ... le&f=false

https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dans_je_d ... met_mij%3F

https://secondhandsongs.com/work/58790/ ... nav-entity

Thanks
Last edited by mue on Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
BarryPugh47

Re: Marriage, French Style and its successors

Post by BarryPugh47 »

Hello to you Mue.
I do have a recording of the vocal by Joanne and the Streamliners which I am willing to share with you.
All the best. Barry
mue

Post by mue »

Yeah! That would be great! Thanks!
pljms

Post by pljms »

According to Serene Dominic's book 'Song By Song', 'Joanne' of Joanne And The Streamliners was in fact English singer Rosemary Squires, whose voice became very familiar to the British public because it featured at the end of a very popular TV advert for washing-up liquid intoning the line, "Now hands that do dishes can feel soft as your face with mild green Fairy Liquid". This ad ran for many years from the late 60s and here's what the early 70s version looked like:

I remember seeing Rosemary Squires popping up a lot on TV comedy and variety shows in the 60s and hearing her on the radio in the 70s and 80s singing with the BBC Big Band. She's 93 now and according to her Wikipedia page was still performing live just a few years ago.
Paul
mue

Post by mue »

Thanks! What a great ad! :)

Yeah, I tried looking for the song under Rosemary Squires as well, but to no avail! The search continues! :)

Thanks!
pljms

Post by pljms »

Apparently 'Dance Mamma, Dance Pappa, Dance' by Joanne And The Streamliners was a US-only release, which will explain why I never heard it played on British radio. Listening to the recording once again on an old cassette tape the other day reminded me of Serene Dominic's comment in his Bacharach book that Rosemary Squires sounds like she's trying very hard in her enunciation to pass her Italian citizenship test.

A friend reminded me that Rosemary Squires under the guise of Joanne and The Streamliners recorded another novelty record in the 1960s, 'Frankfurter Sandwiches', but unlike the Bacharach number this was actually released in the UK and played a lot on the radio. It's one of those records that DJs from different generations with an ear for the quirky seem to home-in on and that will explain why I've continued to hear it played every now and then in recent years:
Paul
Sara D

Post by Sara D »

Interesting topic as I wasn't even aware that there had been a song adaptation of the instrumental Marriage, French Style and a recording by Joanne And The Streamliners. That it was Rosemary Squires singing under a pseudonym on that record makes it doubly interesting and let's hope it isn't too long before it's posted on YouTube because I'm curious to hear it. I think it has been Rosemary's misfortune to be forever confused with Dorothy Squires, another British singer of similar vintage and in fact it's Dorothy's picture and not Rosemary's that's shown on the front of the Joanne And The Streamliners' Frankfurter Sandwiches video. Dorothy Squires was well known in the UK for being married to actor Roger Moore for many years and for filing multiple frivolous lawsuits, the legal cost of which apparently leading to her being declared bankrupt. By complete contrast Rosemary Squires appears to have led a very quiet life with no celebrity marriages or lawsuits that I'm aware of.
geoff85

Post by geoff85 »

Just wanted to add that the Here I am instrumental is so melancholy and spellbinding in only a way Bacharach can do. He is up there with the great classic composers like Tchaikovsky and Stravinsky if you ask me. He simply spent his life producing pop music but his orchestral scores really show the depth of his talent.
geoff85

Post by geoff85 »

pljms wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 3:51 am According to Serene Dominic's book 'Song By Song', 'Joanne' of Joanne And The Streamliners was in fact English singer Rosemary Squires, whose voice became very familiar to the British public because it featured at the end of a very popular TV advert for washing-up liquid intoning the line, "Now hands that do dishes can feel soft as your face with mild green Fairy Liquid". This ad ran for many years from the late 60s and here's what the early 70s version looked like:

I remember seeing Rosemary Squires popping up a lot on TV comedy and variety shows in the 60s and hearing her on the radio in the 70s and 80s singing with the BBC Big Band. She's 93 now and according to her Wikipedia page was still performing live just a few years ago.
lol sounds like Bacharach could have wrote the two bars for the commercial.