Another great song that sounds like Bacharach

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

geoff85

Re: Another great song that sounds like Bacharach

Post by geoff85 »

This might be a stretch. But this song from the Ojays(Mr Lucky) produced by none other than the amazing Gamble/Huff songwriting team has a lush and swingy sound and i get a bit of Bacharachesque vibe from it. What do you guys think?

Last edited by geoff85 on Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
geoff85

Post by geoff85 »

Thom Bell is another one who could do a good dupe of Bacharach when he wanted to. Listen to this Dusty Springfield lesser known gem "i wanna be a free girl"

geoff85

Post by geoff85 »

Connie Stevens Tick Tock. Another Thom Bell production on the b side of the original recording of Betcha by Golly Wow(no it wasn't the Stylistics) .How many fogeys on here just learned something from a millenial?

geoff85

Post by geoff85 »

the guess who these eyes remind me of my little red book

geoff85

Post by geoff85 »

The Stylistics only for the children has Bacharach elements in the chorus. Thom Bell was def a fan.

nowmedical

Post by nowmedical »

Hank wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:17 pm Somehow when I first downloaded Come To My Garden, I didn't get this song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44LF0BwDsO8
...so a very pleasant surprise to find it when playing via Spotify recently.
There is some echo of Promises, Promises here...The entire album is full of fantastic sonic moments that remind me of Burt.
....And Minnie's amazing voice.
Hank you should ask for your money back. Track 7 out of 10 outstanding tracks on this truly outstanding album.
pljms

Post by pljms »

If Bacharach and his British admirer Tony Hatch had ever collaborated on a song in the mid-60s it might have sounded something like 'I Think Of You' as recorded by The Chantelles. Hatch would have also been responsible for the breezy arrangement and the bright, high decibel production. The clip of the Chantelles lip-syncing to the record is from a British b-movie from 1965 called 'Dateline Diamonds'. Incidentally, in a previous incarnation the Chantelles were known as The Lana Sisters and included a young Dusty Springfield in their ranks.

Paul
geoff85

Post by geoff85 »

pljms wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:32 am If Bacharach and his British admirer Tony Hatch had ever collaborated on a song in the mid-60s it might have sounded something like 'I Think Of You' as recorded by The Chantelles. Hatch would have also been responsible for the breezy arrangement and the bright, high decibel production. The clip of the Chantelles lip-syncing to the record is from a British b-movie from 1965 called 'Dateline Diamonds'. Incidentally, in a previous incarnation the Chantelles were known as The Lana Sisters and included a young Dusty Springfield in their ranks.

Can def hear them both. Who is the composer? Has a transatlantic Brill Building sound
geoff85

Post by geoff85 »

Barbara Streisands version of fellow Brill Building contrmporaries Cynthia Weil and Barry Mann's "Just a little lovin" could fool the best Bacharach fans if they hadnt ever heard the song. Im hesring a bunch of Bacharach songs but cant out my finger on which it sounds like. Gimme a hand someone

Edit: Bobby Vintons version is even more Bacharach sounding. One song that comes to mind is "Who gets the guy?"

pljms

Post by pljms »

Geoff, the composer and arranger on 'I Think Of You' by The Chantelles was Keith Mansfield, best known for his work on British TV in the 60s and 70s.

This alternative video makes a great play of showing the label of the original 45 and when it eventually gets to the movie footage the soundtrack is much more in sync with their lip-syncing. The sound quality is also appreciably better:
Paul
geoff85

Post by geoff85 »

pljms wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:19 am Geoff, the composer and arranger on 'I Think Of You' by The Chantelles was Keith Mansfield, best known for his work on British TV in the 60s and 70s.

This alternative video makes a great play of showing the label of the original 45 and when it eventually gets to the movie footage the soundtrack is much more in sync with their lip-syncing. The sound quality is also appreciably better:
I hear a bit more Tony Hatch but it could still pass as a Bacharach song especially his mid 60s work which have more piano than brass/woodwind.
pljms

Post by pljms »

Even though Richard Hawley's song about a well known lovers meeting place in Sheffield features lush extended chords, a lilting melody and in this sublime version by Tony Christie a subtle arrangement with a prominent flugelhorn part, I wouldn't say it necessarily sounds like something Bacharach might have written. However, I think this topic is a convenient place to feature a track which I think that most Bacharach fans would appreciate. The very impressive flugelhorn playing is by renowned British jazzer, Guy Barker.

Paul
geoff85

Post by geoff85 »

pljms wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 10:17 pm Even though Richard Hawley's song about a well known lovers meeting place in Sheffield features lush extended chords, a lilting melody and in this sublime version by Tony Christie a subtle arrangement with a prominent flugelhorn part, I wouldn't say it necessarily sounds like something Bacharach might have written. However, I think this topic is a convenient place to feature a track which I think that most Bacharach fans would appreciate. The very impressive flugelhorn playing is by renowned British jazzer, Guy Barker.

Great find. The tempo is a bit slow for a Bacharach song. Burt would have figured out a way to speed it up before the end of the song but the insturmentation is close. That Fluegelhorn is an almost uniquely Bacharach feature in modern pop music.
geoff85

Post by geoff85 »

Tim Morgons " take a look around" sounds like something that could have been on the Lost Horizon soundtrack, Alot of DAVID SHIRE AND RICHARD MALTBY songs do have a Bacharach touch to them.

geoff85

Post by geoff85 »

Minnie Ripperton's Come to My Garden(the song) sounds like a late 60s Bacharach song written without Hal David You almost wouldnt be able to tell it wasnt him who composed it sart at 1:10
Bacharach influenced so many greats Thom Bell, Jimmy Webb, Charles Stepney, et al.

More Bacharach influence can be heard in Minnie Rippertons " Close your eyes and remember".another Stepney classic from the Come to my Garden. Minnie's voice is as angelic as Dionne's if not more and thats saying alot. I hear it as well on "Wherever Whenever". I hear touches of promises promises and south american getaway and looking with my eyes on the latter. The enitre Come to my Garden album is a wink and a nod to Bacharach. I am about to commit blasphemy but I actual think Stepney's talent rivals Bacharach. The complex vocal arrangements of Minnie's angelic voice and the ethereal majesty of his compositions for me are otherworldy. i don't think he is revered at the level he should be.

Last edited by geoff85 on Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.